Cedar Flower Boxes

Discussion in 'The Helpful Handyman' started by blueblood, Jun 8, 2012.

1. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I built a couple of of cedar boxes today for my wife and was really pleased with they way they turned out. If you were looking for a good cedar box for flowers, this one is much cheaper and fairly easy to build. A box like this at Home Depot or Lowes is around $35-43 and I was able to buy material to make two of them for the $50 dollar range using 7/8" by 4 (3-1/2") boards.

If want something on the more economical side, I made some smaller width cedar planters a couple of weeks ago. They are super easy and cheap to build. I simply use $1.95 cedar dog ear fence boards. You can bake them as long or short as you like. It takes 2 boards to make a decent sized box like the one I built which is 30" long.

0608121304.jpg 0608121357.jpg 0608121502.jpg 0608121600.jpg 0608121657a.jpg
    0527121436.jpg 0527121436a.jpg 0527121451.jpg

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

For a wood worker, that may be good. For me, it means you saved about 10.00 each to pay for your labor. The way I like working wood, I wouldn't put them together for 50.00 apiece. The only nail I can drive with a hammer resides on my left thumb. :thumbsup: :eek:

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Ha! Gotta watch those thumbs. The advantage here is that they are bigger and much better quality construction. The bonus, I like working with wood...

4. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Made a couple for my wife for flowers along the fence I built to help hide the outside wood burning stove. LOL Tom

5. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Geez Dave.

Must be nice to have enough bee woodenware that you can waste time making things for your wife.:lol: ... Just kidding, good looking stuff:thumbsup:

6. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Which one did ya make Tm?

Gun, I was trying to win brownie points...I would rather be making woodenware,,,ha!

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

They will be TBH's the first time she turns her head. :thumbsup:

8. Marbees

Marbees Member

Somehow I knew that bb :lol: