Cedar Oil based Pesticides

Discussion in 'Beekeeping Biology' started by Big Bear, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Big Bear

Big Bear New Member

Have your bees ever been exposed to cedar oil based pesticides?

Do you know of anyone who's bees have been exposed to cedar oil based pesticides?

The EPA, having removed Cedar Oil from required registration as a pesticide some years ago, makes it more difficult to find studies pertaining to using cedar oil based pesticide related to honey bees studies as most people consider cedar oil as non-harmful to honey bees (most cite the reasoning as honey bees are visually oriented foragers over scent oriented.)

I would like to hear from anyone who has had bees or seen studies with results from direct and indirect contact with cedar oil pesticides regardless of the outcome.

2. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Not sure of what you mean by cedar oil pesticide. Do you mean cedar oil (wood) preservative ? In this country Western Red Cedar is the wood of choice for making hives ---- see Thorne's catalogue.

3. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

My search of cedar oil based pesticides turned up this:

That the lingering aroma of Cedar Oil is a pheromone interruption agent that impairs the mental capacity of non-beneficial insects; it has no effect on beneficial insects such as lady bugs, honey bees, lizards, earth worms, butterflies, and toads,and is listed as non-toxic.

And I found this PDF on cedar oil based pesticides:

http://www.epa.gov/oppsrrd1/REDs/factsh ... 50fact.pdf

4. Big Bear

Big Bear New Member

yup, I have all that information and more. However, I am hoping to find more first hand information from bee keepers directly who may have observed results of bees interacting with cedar oil based pesticides.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

likely not the information you want since I typically avoid such stuff but we had a fellow who spoke to our bee club in regards to using cedar oil as an insecticide. actually at the time I think I would have called his product a smell barrier more than an insecticide (that is I didn't see how it actually killed anything).

he said he had tried it out on some customer's homes who couldn't tolerate chemical insecticides and who also kept bees. it was 'thought' to reduce the severity of hive beetles. by description he painted a small band of the oil around the bottom board of the hive.

6. Big Bear

Big Bear New Member

Thank Tec, Cedar oil is recognized as a very effective pesticide in the right formulation of concentrate. I use it in my pest management business.

I have heard of it's use to reduce mites in hives but am leery of the claim that it doesn't hurt bees.

I and some other members of the bee club I am in are going to do some experiments with it this season. See what's what.

7. junkhound

junkhound New Member

I returned to beekeeping this spring, and have built all of my wooodenware (except frames) from eastern red cedar. I mill this myself. If you look at the surface of a cedar board microscopicaly it is covered with tiny drops of cedar oil, and it does not seem to affect the bees at all. In my observation they are thriving. In the late 80's I seen a hive in a large hollow cedar tree. I hope that if cedar oil is a natural deterrent to SHBs and mites, my boxes construction will have a residual beneficial effect on my hives. Only time will tell.

100_5413.jpg

junkhound

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012