Certainly achieved my goals

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Zulu, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Zulu

Zulu Member

Some of you have followed along as I have written about my Boy Scout Beekeeping project. The long term aim being to reinstate the Bee Keeping Merit badge.

However my short term goal was to convert just one person to being a bee keeper.

I can happily report , I have not one, not two, not three, but 7 new bee keepers, all with hives awaiting bees, or already with bees.

Our first collected a nuc from Iddee last week, and installed them on his property on his own...... The next family of three, will be picking up a full hive this weekend, and the last family of three have all their woodenware, all their gear just waiting our club delivery of packages.

We go into this weekend expecting up to 16 boys plus parents this weekend for an open day, and to move our swarm into their new woodenware. We are also using the event to promote our troop to our rising Webelos cub scouts.

And just to make it interesting , next week I will do a trap out in an old brick school building, the bees are inside the cavity on the third floor, been there at least 4 years. As it is spring break, we should have some boys along to learn.

2. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

WOW great news. I would love to get involved with the BSA out here. Did you ever finish rewriting the handbook?

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I have often wondered zulu if bee lining would be a good activity in a program such as the boy scout?

and I think perhaps 7 is just the beginning.

best of luck to ya'...

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  4. kebee

kebee Active Member

Zulu, that sound great getting the young people interest in bekeep, just don't let them get stung to much or they may back out. Keep up the good work, doing all around a good deed.

kebee

5. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Great to hear Zulu, sounds like your doing great. Keep up the good work. Jim

6. jim314

jim314 New Member

Way to go Zulu :thumbsup:

7. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

You just have to Be Prepared for more good news! You're doing very well. :D

8. Zulu

Zulu Member

The book is at 56 or 58 pages , the printer needs it at 50 open fold pages......so the editing is being done. 9 of the 16 chapters are ready, we have a disagreement over one important part, and then a tidy up. In one section Ww

The goal was End of month so that we have to didn't worry about swarms, but last 2 weeks we have bees catching

Just like taxes it will get done in very near timeframe , hoping even to have a draft tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks for the well wishes, ,,,,changing minds one at a time

9. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Great job Zulu, keep up the good work!! That is wonderful news that you have gotten so many kids interested in the bees, surely several will take a root in it, if not now in a future time.

Tec is right, get them young kids into bee lining if you can find a big enough open area to let them run.

Best of luck to ya!!

10. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

You should be commended for the time and effort you have given to promoting beekeeping to the generation we will all someday be handing over the hive tools to. :thumbsup:

11. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Zulu, you won my admiration long ago. Keep up the great work. We need more people in this world who think of others and not only themselves.
    Keep up the great work. :clapping:

12. Zulu

Zulu Member

A very successful day with 12 adults, 9 boys plus my two mentors, Iddee and Jacobs.

Iddee got the youngest boys (and a girl) to move frames of bees across into new woodenware, which impressed the parents no end. Luckily we had enough veils.

Later was about to show how to do a split, and we discovered no brood and a capped queen cell in the hive we were to split, so another lesson for the boys...... Must have swarmed without me knowing.

Helped my last new beekeeper get his hive yesterday, safely home.