Certified pest free wood products.

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Crofter, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Is there any concern with importing wooden ware into Canada regarding certification of meeting international standards for pest free status.
    I remember on another forum hearing that a shipment of machinery was held up because the pallets and lagging were not stamped with the correct symbol.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Laws change daily, so I can't say about today, but up until I retired in 2007, I shipped machinery to Canada often. I used local wood for pallets and crating, sometimes even re-used wood from other crates. I never had a problem.

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I am unfamiliar with this but would venture to say. What might not pass at the border at 8:00 am at one check point may pass 100 miles down the road at another check point at the same time. And by the same token what got held up at the port at 8:00 in the morning might cruise on through after shift change at 8:00pm. I think a lot of the inspecting is left up to an individual inspector to determine if it is right or wrong. Then held until a determination is made by the higher ups as to let it go or not.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I would not think that the wooden ware would be a problem, it is clean wood that has been through a kiln. I think it mostly has to do with raw wood (pallets especially), think air dried that can harbor pest, disease and molds. Lumber and pallets that have been kiln dried will more than likely kill most of the little buggers.

As far as the certification, can not answer that question.

5. Crofter

Crofter New Member

I think that any of the major woodenware producers would be using certified kiln dried lumber. Yes I guess that unless there was a work to rule gig going on at the border crossings we would be too small a potatoes to worry about. Perhaps though if a person was to bring back a truckload from a private small producer without credentials it could be a problem.

In reality if there is a real problem that kind of lip service protection is useless with all the miles of undistinguishable border between Canada and the US.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

guessing for certain Crofter and only after seeing the large quantity of dead timber in BC last year I would think some of the forestry folks now have some concern about importing bugs that can (have) decimated an entire industry.

7. Flyman

Flyman New Member

I've had a little experience at exporting to Canada and Puerto Rico. Was told by the freight forwarder that any wooden crates or pallets would have to be made of "Treated" Wood. The implication being to use only "Wolmanized" type products. I did and have never had a problem.