changed the way I inspect the hives

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by reidi_tim, Jun 10, 2012.

1. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

I changed the way I do my hive inspections today. The boss lady and I went camping for the first time ( we've been married almost 11 years ) The camp site I have been working on is still not done , something about all those trees not wanting to move themselves:confused:. So we set up camp in one of the far corners of the farm where we were completely off the grid, lp stove on camper, 12 volt battery with solar charger, water we took with us, and coolers with beer and food. Much to my dismay there where two woodpeckers making all kind of noise at 6 this morning, I adjusted and went back to sleep:grin:. Got up at 8 made coffee and breakfast and was ready to tend to the bees at 9:30 , I usually make it to the farm until after 1 or 2. Went out and checked one hive and then went back to camp for awhile, then checked the second hive, first hive was already over there check. So it seems that if I give the bees time to settle back in before I start on the next hive they are much calmer.First two is where we set up camp, third and fourth the campground I'm working on clearing, fifth the back entrance to the camp ground, sixth the last hill before making to the camp ground ( the wife has to close her eyes to make it up that hill:dontknow:), where we were camping at was close to 250' the campground is closer to 550', nice steep ride thru the back door.
    base camp 2.jpg base camp.jpg campground1.jpg campground2.jpg entrance to new camp ground.jpg last hill.jpg

2. Omie

Omie New Member

Sure sounds like a nice way to keep bees! :smile: