Chat Box Date Format-Charles?

Discussion in 'Forum News' started by riverbee, Feb 5, 2013.

1. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

okay, i might open a can of worms here, but for those who use the chat box, does anyone have a preference or 'druthers' for the date format and how it appears in the chat box?
    and can this be changed charles?

right now it is in day, then month, then year, for example today is displayed 05-02-13........in my senior brain, i read this at first glance as May 2, 2013, not the fifth day of february, 2013 :lol:
    don't laugh, i hear you guys laughing....
    anyone else?

i guess i am just old fashioned. i would prefer to see it in month, then day, then year.....so today would be 02-05-13, rather than 05-02-13......

anyone else? charles?
    :grin:

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I like it better month day year, but very seldom look at the date in the chat box, mostly just the time.

3. Charles

Charles New Member

Never really thought about it :) since I'm looking at it now I'm thinking we can remove the year and use the space to spell the (3 letter) month. It now reads - Feb 05 - I like this so much I'm thinking it would be nice to change the date format for posts too :) it seems easier all around to see "February 05, 2013" than 02-05-2013

Any thoughts?

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Like measurements, I think the US is about the only place that doesn't use day, month, year. I would like to have the question put to our international members before any changes are made.

5. Marbees

Marbees Member

Like it, no confusion:smile:

6. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

charles, i like it, (date change chat box) :wink:

charles-
    "It now reads - Feb 05 - I like this so much I'm thinking it would be nice to change the date format for posts too :smile: it seems easier all around to see "February 05, 2013" than 02-05-2013".

as far as the posts, i like that idea as well. just my humble vote from the usa.
    thanks!:grin:

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

"International members" :shock:

I suddenly feel.....................somehow, more important, sophisticated, elevated a notch or two in stature! :lol:
    I like the sound of that, PerryBee - International Member.
    (I have actually been referred to as something similar in the past, but that is not fit for print).
    Who'da thunk that a guy with a beard living in the snow's opinion would warrant such attention? :rolling:
    I'm all for the changes. :thumbsup: :wink:

8. blueblood

blueblood New Member

The international standard (ISO 8601, 1988) of writing the date is YYYY-MM-DD. Count on the copper to insert the rules, ha! :mrgreen:....but, personally, I don't have a preference either way....

9. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

It,s no problem after the 13th day of the month. I vote for printed month especially on the treads saves having to count threw the months on the fingers. Some days the Yesterday and Today get confusing. Perry can post Today that I'm reading Tomorrow, but it says today so did he write it Yesterday?

10. Charles

Charles New Member

This is true, but if you start spelling out the month it throws ISO out the window :smile:

If you have your local timezone in settings then the today / yesterday should be relative to your time. I think.... :???:

Ok, lets give this a go, it's pretty easy to change so if it creates problems I'll change it back. Threads are reading as so: "Feb 6th 2013, 09:45 AM"

11. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

The local useage is dd/mm/yyyy. I have to think and mentally convert mm/dd/yyyy.

The 'new' format is better for me. Well done. - - :thumbsup:

12. Charles

Charles New Member

Hi Barbarian! We had a conversation about this in PM awhile back, I'm glad this setup works better for you. It's like Iddee say's, we in The USA are sadly behind the times in weights and measurements. Hopefully one day we'll swallow our pride and convert to international standards.

13. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

As an "easterner" (from the eastern side of the Atlantic), I side with Barbarian. It's always confusing to figure out what the first number represents (until you pass 12) when you don't know what format is being used. Spelling out the month (even if only with three letters) leaves little room for mistakes. Another option could be the method of using Roman numerals to represent the months, but spelling them out is probably better for all. :grin:

14. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

i like the change charles to the month, day, year even if us usa-ers are slacking behind the rest of the universe, and i am happy our friends to the north and across the pond like it as well. so thank you!

btw, i started this thread with the question because another member misread the date, (as i have), before you changed it, and thought he had lost 3 days, or that his computer was messing up, and couldn't figure out why no one had been in the chatbox for 3 days......
    i won't mention any names GUNSMITH........:lol:

15. Charles

Charles New Member

Glad it's working out!

16. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Something else

Would it be possible to change the date format on " The Top 5 " stats at the foot of the Forum page ?

"No rest for the wicked" -:grin:

17. Charles

Charles New Member

Changed :) If only I could change the date in only one place...if you find any other places to fix let me know!