ChatbBox

Discussion in 'Forum News' started by Iddee, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It seems that no one is using the chat box lately. Can anyone suggest ways to get it used more?

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Just below the last forum thread.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Could be that some folks don't know about it. I have the sound box checked but I don't seem to be getting any sound. It makes it hard when you're surfing the forum and don't realize that someone posted on the chat till too late.

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

can we make it where it is a selection in the forum to where a member would have to navigate to it Just like selecting beekeeping 101 or general beekeeping. Then they will know where it is and purposely stop in. But the user has to keep in mind that if they are the first in there they may have to lurk awhile until another member comes in

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

That's where the sound thingy should come in. A person could lurk or surf on other threads while waiting and be alerted to someone else going on the chat by the noise it makes. Rat's idea may have merit.

7. Charles

Charles New Member

We've talked about this quite a few times, I'd be open to ideas too but remember not everyone wants to chat so it can't be something loud or obnoxious!

The only way you could make that work would be to open the front page of the forum in another tab or browser window and leave it. If a new post or chat is made then you will hear it chirp. I actually do this quite often.

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

So basically you would have the forum up on two seperate tabs? One would just stay on the front page and you could lurk on the other? When someone on the front page tab chatted you could hear it on the other? Cool!

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I actually like the chat option, it gives you the possibility of asking questions and getting an "instant" reply. I did it today with Iddee, he explained something out for me just before I hit the yards.

10. riverrat

riverrat New Member

can we fix the chat box where it is not posting the new topics in the box. I think this can get confusing as to what the true intentions are for the chat box. I liked it better when only chat was in the box.

11. Charles

Charles New Member

I agree the chat is a great function.

Just an FYI to everyone, I've disabled the new post notifications in the chat window to see if that will help with getting folks chatting...

12. Charles

Charles New Member

Your quick on the draw there rat :) Personally I love having the new post notifications but I'm for what's best for the group ;-)

13. riverrat

riverrat New Member

ole Uncle rat quitely blows on the barrel of his revolver and slowly puts it back in its holster :rolling:

14. TheWoodsman

TheWoodsman New Member

The mini-chat? I tried but noone is ever on it. Maybe put it at the top in bold letters saying chat, i'd use it.

15. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

When I come on the forum I hit see new posts. the chat box isn't available from that page. Therefore I never use it.

16. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Woodsman, just type in a hello and see who comes back at you. Sometimes they do, sometimes not.

Charla, at the top and bottom of each page there are the words board index. Click on it when you are through reading and the front page will open. Scroll down to chat and say hello.

17. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

It's been a lot busier as of late (maybe I'm using it too much) :mrgreen:
    Good to "talk" to people in real time!

18. riverrat

riverrat New Member

im glad there is traffic in the chatbox i gets us a chance to get to know people better

19. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Iddee says:"....at the top and bottom of each page there are the words board index. Click on it when you are through reading and the front page will open. Scroll down to chat and say hello."
    The first time I went hunting for Boletus mushrooms, I searched for an hour and couldn't find one. Then I spotted one and all of a sudden I saw them all around me.
    Iddee, I've looked but can't spot that board index to lead me to the chat box.
    Show it to me once and from then on I hope to be on my own. {It took a while for me to discover it on the old board too/}

20. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Ef, that post was made on the old forum. On this forum, at the top of every page it says>>>> HOME FORUM BLOGS WHATS NEW Click on forum and scroll down just past the last forum.

Bottom right corner also has a button that says TOP that will take you to the top of the page to where you can find FORUM.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012