Check my two hives....

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by blueblood, Mar 8, 2015.

1. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Hi Sam. This isn't "the way," but my way, so take it for what it's worth. I am probably having warmer weather that you up there. But, I am still using small candy discs I made by mixing sugar and water over heat with a dab of lemon juice. I poured mixture on small paper plates for a simple mold. This is because syrup will freeze right now. I placed the candy partially over the inner cover hole utilizing the space created by my vent shim between there and the telescoping lid. If you don't have vent shims, you could probably slide them under the bottom frames at the entrance. As for the vent shims, it also allows me to place a zip lock baggy on the inner cover and slit it a couple times with a razor blade for the bees to drink from. Not sure why your honey is dripping out unless a mouse damaged a frame and now it is thawing out. Sure it's not propolis thawing and leaking out? I have not used the probiotic. I am pretty much all natural. Hope some of that helps.

2. Ray

Ray Member

I was cleaning up dead outs and found several honey frames with tiny beads of honey on them. I'm thinking that it's because of the freeze and thaw cycle. My thought is that it nothing serious and the bees will probably clean it up. I mean your hive, my deadouts ain't cleanin up nuthin.