Check out this Website for Weather Data

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Larus, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Larus

Larus New Member

I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but ever since I started keeping bees, I've been looking for a good website to check weather data. Not the weather forecast, mind you, but weather data - I am interested in what actually happened, not what was predicted to happen. Furthermore, I am interested in what happened in my bee yard, not where I am myself, therefore I need someone else's report - what the weather has been in the past couple of days, what was the temperature, how much rain has fallen, how strong are the winds?

I think I finally found a good website today, and learned to get the info from it. The website is:
    www.wunderground.com. It allows you to select not just a city or zipcode, but a specific National Weather Service weather observation station (from a zoomable map). Thus, you can select the station that's closest to your beeyard. You can then get data for the observations from that weather station for any day you select, in tabular format or in charts and graphs.

It was very helpful to find out that today, after almost two weeks of negligible rain (0.04" since the beginning of July), today my beeyard and my bee forage area finally got a quarter inch of rain. I was starting to worry about the nectar flow.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You can also get the weather for a year ago, or whenever you want. You can get it for a certain date for a few years to estimate the weather when planning an outing or other event in the future. It's a great resource.

3. Zulu

Zulu Member

been using it for years , very accurate and also provides data around the world.

My dad even uses it in South Africa as it is better than the local Gov weather channel.