Check this out. What a nice surprise.

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Yankee11, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Pulled Honeylast week end and found one of our favorite hives queenless. We removed supers and checked brood chambers. Upper deep was 10 frames of capped honey. Lower deep was honey and pollen. No queen, no queen cells, no brood or eggs. But, they were very calm. So, we took the upper deep and used those 10 frames to put in other hives and was going to do combine with the lower deep with a new swarm I got about 3 weeks ago.

Good plan, right?

Went out and loaded up the queenlss hive last night. Got home and put newspaper on the swarm hive. Took queenless deep off of bottom board and look what we found.:eek: Yes, Thats comb and it has capped brood in it, hanging from the screened bottom board. This blew our minds. Does anyone care to help me understand what could have happened. This explains why they were so calm.

We quickly removed the deep before they killed the swarm queen and after the rain passes today I will try and get this queen and brood INSIDE the deep where they belong. I'm very happy we still have this hive. Whats funny is they rode around town in the back of my truck while we went and grabbed a bite of dinner.

20130919_201135.jpg 20130919_201143.jpg 20130919_201149.jpg

2. Jacobs

Jacobs New Member

This is one of the reasons why I am working my way out of screened bottom boards and back to solids. I have had something similar happen a couple of times. My best guess is that the hive replaced its queen, either by a primary swarm or supercedure. The new queen went up on her mating flight, came back to the right hive, but went under instead of in. The hive is calm, full of polished cells, but empty of brood. When I broke the hive apart and shook the underneath bees into the hive, the queen was laying within a week.

I have never had this happen (yet) with a solid bottom board.

3. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Good to know Jacobs. I don't think I will change to solid bottom boards though because of SHB's. I had no problems with SHB this year using these screened bottom boards and a lot of folks in my area had bad problems with them.

Shes laying already as this comb had capped brood in it it. Guess I'll try and cut the comb away and insert in the deep. She should hit the deep ready
    to start laying quick. Plus there us a large population of bees in the deep. I think she will be fine.

I'm just glad she is there. This was going to be a hive I split from in the spring. Very calm and productive. Made my night last night.