Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the help of a young friend, I did my final fall check today.

3 hives of Wayne's bees in one yard are strong, well supplied and ready for winter.

5 hives from swarms, cutouts, ETC. in another yard. One was a dead out, one nuc was combined with another hive. The remaining 2 were combined into one. All boxes I could get 10 empty frames for were removed and sprayed with BT, then stored for the winter.

Final tally, 3 hives of Wayne's bees, 2 hives of ferals. We will see how many survive the winter.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Glad you got a chance to take a look at them! I hope they all do well over the winter...looks like we're gonna have another cold and wet one.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Did you have to pinch any queens?
It's good to hear about how you combined your colonies to make fewer but stronger ones going into winter.
Do you mark your queens to know when one of your Wayne's queens gets superceded?

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I pinched two queens. They each had 4 or less frames of spotty brood. Time for them to go.

If they supercede, they are still Wayne's bees. No, I don't mark them.

Wayne had bees back in the 70's and 80's. He never treated them when the tracheal and varroa mites came here. All his hives but one died. All wayne's bees queens are descendents of that one hive. None of them have ever been treated.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Iddee said:
Yes, I pinched two queens. They each had 4 or less frames of spotty brood. Time for them to go.

Iddee can you(or anyone else that would like to chime in) explain some of the whens ,whys and don'ts regarding pinching queens,I've not read or seen anything(being typical newbee that I am :lol:) regarding pinching queens.

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I have a 3 month or older hive that hasn't built to more than 3 or 4 frames of bees, she's terminated. Especially this time of year. I give the bees to a hive with a better queen for extra laborers.

That's just my way. No science behind it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts