Checked the hives today

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Eddy Honey, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I couldn't help myself. It was in the mid 60's. Temps for the next 10 days forcast in the 50's and upper 40's.

At first I was impressed with the shear numbers of bees. Two of the 3 hives were packed with bees. But then I thought well of course they are because they aren't all out foraging.

There is a steady stream of dull green/yellow pollen coming in the front door.

I wintered in 1 deep with 2 mediums above and was suprised to see I still have the middle box on all hives full of capped stores. There is some capped stores at the top of the bottom box. The top box is mostly empty.
    I've been feeding these bees sugar candy with HBH mixed in the candy since Dec. 22nd. I made 1 25lb bag of sugar worth and won't need anymore as I still have alot left.
    I'm planning on switching brood box configuration to 2 deeps and making the mediums my honey supers. My concern is that they won't use up the stores in those mediums. Those stores might be sugar syrup I fed them last fall and I'll need to get rid of it. I was considering taking away their sugar candy and let them use the stores first but the wife overruled me lol.

In one hive I saw capped brood in the top box below the candy but no drones or drone brood.

In the hive with the fewest bees I did spot the queen and she looked good. She's probably my smart queen as she let the hive #'s dwindle for the wintertime to conserve food.

All in all I was very satisfied and am looking forward to March!

Ed

2. bamabww

bamabww New Member

good update. I plan on checking mine today as the temps are forecast to be near 70 degrees. Love this winter's weather so far.

3. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

Checked on mine day before yesterday. They were very active, in and out of the hives. Come on spring!!!

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    In the hive with the fewest bees I did spot the queen and she looked good. She's probably my smart queen as she let the hive #'s dwindle for the wintertime to conserve food.

tecumseh:
    the best kind of queens almost anywhere are those that directly respond to the flow and the season... starting and halting brood production when conditions warrant.

in regards to your honey super... might I suggest?? upon you next look/manipulation... 1) remove the box you want the stores cleared from 2) pull each frame and with a fork or capping scrapper, scratch or remove capping from the center of each frame 3) place in the very bottom position 4) place brood box directly above this. <'the girls' really don't much like to have their stores directly at the front door step, they will use and move this upwards.

ps... #2 doesn't really require for you to scratch the entire surface of the frame, the idea here is just to expose some honey and get 'the girls' started removing and consuming this. some folks might suggest for you to pull the front entrance reducer... I would suggest you do on don't do this based on how severe the weather might be between now and spring.

5. Omie

Omie New Member

Eddy thanks for the detailed report. Sounding good! I too can't wait til Spring!

6. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

The bees were really flying in and out today, coming back with loads of yellow pollen. I saw a few dandelions around in the yard, but the garden was full of henbit. Also, daffodils are starting to bloom here. The redbuds, blueberries, cherry trees, peach trees, etc., are budding, too. The weatherman is calling for nearly 60 for the next seven days. It's really hard to beelieve this weather.

hen bit:

[​IMG]

daffodil almost ready to bloom:

[​IMG]

the gals bringing in pollen:

[​IMG]