Checking combs

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by BeepsBees, May 22, 2016.

1. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

It's approaching time for me to check the combs and if queen is laying in my TBH. (I was told 10 days after we released queen) i see through the observation window that they have built a lot of comb and they look straight from what I see!!! I'd love some advice on what to look for. Should I take out all the bars(1 at a time) and look at every single one or what? What else should I look for? How soon should I check again after this first time? Im excited and a little nervous! Thanks!

2. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

3. camero7

camero7 Member

Be sure to keep those combs perpendicular - they are soft and fragile and the bees have spent a lot of energy building them. If I see eggs or larvae I usually stop looking through the hive, particularly when it's a new package. I waited 30 days to go through my packages this spring and they were all on drawn comb. Good advice about spotting the queen but don't obsess about it. You have years to learn that ability. I still have trouble sometimes, even with marked queens, after 30 years.

4. paint504

paint504 Member

Second year bee keeping and I still can't find the queen for the life of me. It's like searching for a needle in a stack of needles.

5. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

Should I start from one far end to the next or go for the middle just to see if there are eggs? 30 days seems like forever lol. How often should I look?

6. camero7

camero7 Member

Look where the bees are congregated. In a TBH you don't need to worry about rolling the queen quite so bad. Find where the bees are clustered. take out the frame on the outside of the cluster, look for eggs, larvae, etc. Check to make sure the combs are straight and not wonky.

7. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

They're clustered around all the combs. Do I just take out one or two on the outside or do I keep working through all of them?

8. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

Work through all of them.

9. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

It's been 12 days since I released queen. When's a good first time to check & how often should I check after? Ty

10. camero7

camero7 Member

Really up to you. New beekeepers tend to be in the hive more than us old farts. You'll be able to follow their growth and their habits. Just don't be in there too much so they abscond. However, that's pretty unlikely. I think I remember you have an observation window. That should tell you a lot. Enjoy them!

11. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

observation window sounds like a great idea. How fun!

12. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

Yes through the window all the combs are straight and perfect!!! I'm waiting for my old man to get home to check so instead of checking 10 days after queen release it may be more like 15 days. Everything looks perfect from the window.

13. camero7

camero7 Member

So how are they doing?

14. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

I'm checking tomorrow. I guess I'll be alone. I'm a little nervous tomorrow at high noon

15. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

Can the sugar water ferment or is it ok in the hive? I read they can get drunk off fermented nectar from plants and it affects their flying. I also heard they will chew off a drunk bees leg. Either way idk how often to change the sugar water if they havent eaten it all. I poured new sugar water in with the old and I'm thinking I should add fresh sugar water tomorrow

16. camero7

camero7 Member

You'll be fine Beeps... look for mold in the sugar water [black]. If there's a lot of it I would change the water, if not it will be fine. Never met a drunk bee yet:wink:

17. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

Ok so I checked today but I didn't go through all of them. I have 8 frames available for them and I checked 4 deep. I saw capped brood and larve!!! Honey and pollen!!!! I wasn't sure I should move the divider a bars length back for space to put bars back in. At first I didn't and it was too tight I felt putting the bar back down in between two bars .So then I pushed the divider further back to leave more space I was lost on how I would put them all close together again if they're moved far apart. Like I'm moving me the whole hive over once I go through the bars and I'd have to move it back. I'll have to watch a YouTube where they go through a TBH checking all the comb.... Because I was lost on what to do as far as moving the bars for space to put a bar back down. If I leave a larger space by first moving a divider I then am moving each bar further back as I go through them... And once I'm to the end will I one by one go through them again to move them back to where they were? I hope you can get a visual of exactly what I'm taking about. Leaving the bars in place with just a little room to put them back down I know was too tight. I guess the real problem is understand how to put them back in place I've I'm moving one over a bars width to check the next bar. Anyway..... My smoker went out while going through it and I had to add more hay lol. I just wanted to check back about the whole "moving the bars over for space" issue before I came back. When can I check again? Should I wait a week or should I go through the rest soon since I already went through the first 4? I saw capped brood, larve, honey and pollen. I just want to be sure on how to move the bars over to leave enough space and how to move them back into place. I know I could have kept moving them left into the space I left, setting one down in the two bar with space and moving them to the left as I went through... But I wasn't sure if that felt right and once they where all one space over to the left I would have to move them all back to the right. It felt strange moving the divider too. Then again I've never done this before. Any YouTubes on TBH thorough look throughs I can watch? Any and all explanation about spacing as I go through them and moving them back into place would be great. I didn't want to roll the queen by moving them wrong. And pushing them in without enough space between didn't feel right at all, but If I'm steadily moving them all left as I go through to fill space I am left with having to move each of them right. Maybe by grabbing two at a time? Just would seem like bothering each comb of bees twice. Anyway... I need more advice. I need a more in depth explination of bar placement when I'm going through the hive. Plz let me know if and when I should check the other four bars and or all of them. I even saw tiny larve at the very outside first comb. When should I add empty bars? Here are some pictures I took. Thanks everyone. Ps I gave them fresh sugar water. Then had hardly drank any this time.

18. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

ImageUploadedByBeekeeping Forum1464734387.851643.jpg I saw uncapped fat larve at the bottom of this 4th comb. I have 8 bars available to them as of now between the dividers. This was the fourth one in from the left.

19. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

20. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

All the same bar and comb