Checking in, Sterling Heights MI

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Chris Casaceli, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Chris Casaceli

Chris Casaceli New Member

Currently researching to possibly start 2 hives in Spring of '18.

Anyone from Sterling Heights, Michigan that can fill me on how the municipality is with beekeeping? Nothing specifically mentioned about bees in the city ordinances. Sounds like it might come down to keeping the neighbors happy?

2. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Active Member

welcome aboard..best place to ask that question would be your local building dept or code office to see what the regulations are...get that info from the horses mouth direct..lol..

3. Chris Casaceli

Chris Casaceli New Member

I am planning on stopping in there in the next day or two, but was just hoping to stumble across someone in the area, who may already be familiar.

4. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Active Member

one of the areas I live doesnt allow bee hives, but that didnt stop me or many from keeping bees..there are bee clubs looking to change outdated regulations..stupid laws are meant to be broken..lol....Im trying to get some healthy hives going and then they will be relocated to my other property that has no restrictions...so in the end you decide if you have restrictions by you how to go about it..how close are neighbors and if close how friendly?.. some free honey to neighbors goes a looong way to letting you do what you need to do..

5. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

My city just started regulating hives, limiting numbers, but since i had bees first I am grandfathered in. A local bee club is a great resource, group purchasing on bees, help if you need it, worth seeing if there is one. And welcome!