chemical smoke

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by samo's beekeeping, Aug 23, 2010.

1. samo's beekeeping

samo's beekeeping New Member

hello friends beekeepers!!! :wave:
    i am a beekeeper from greece and i need your knowledge and your opinion on this .
    this year we had a big number of forest fires by accident or not. please forgive my pure english.
    the beekeepers have problem to visit the forests and their beehives or do work with smoke. its forbiden for some very hot days or with strong wind.
    i heard that there is chemical smoke (pills in water can or something).
    if someone of you know something about please inform me. :thumbsup:
    thank you.

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

well that's a new one on this old dog.. it will be interesting to see the responses and answer the age old question 'can you teach an old dog a new trick'.

3. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Some people use a spray bottle of sugar syrup to work bees. Maybe that would work for you. I have never done it, only heard about it. So, maybe someone else has details on this that would help.

4. Walt B

Walt B New Member

I did a search and came up with something called "Liquid Bee Smoker" sold by Brushy Mountain. Here's the link:

http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/Liquid-Bee-Smoke/productinfo/470/

It's a packet of fluid that's added to water. Don't know how well it works or whether there are shipping limitations. Hope this helps and, welcome to the forum. :wave:

Walt

5. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

I asked Michael Bush about this and he says that plain water works. Or one part sugar to two parts water in a spray bottle. Or "Liquid Smoke", but he doesn't know proportions. He did say that the hive smells like smoke for a long time.

Liquid Smoke. Is that the same stuff as what people use in cooking or barbecuing?

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I have from time to time used thin sugar water (say 1/2 gallon) + a few drops of lemon oil + a few drops of spearmint oil in a small garden sprayer to some good effect. I used one of those one handed garden sprayers (again 1/2 gallon size) with a pump in the handle to apply the spray. You pretty much had to spray down each layer as you dismantled the hive and it worked pretty good. Can't say it worked as well as a lit smoker, but it certainly worked well enough to get me thru a yard when I had left my smoker at home.

One commercial fellow I know said he knew folks (other commercial operators) that employed the same set up pretty commonly and they though the process encourage a bit of mutual grooming in the process.

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I have not seen the artificial smoke but I have had a few bee calls where the people had called a removal company and they was charging 20 bucks a can for smoke we all thought it was a way of ripping people off using a smoker but maybe there is such a thing now that you mention it.

8. samo's beekeeping

thank you for answering. i have try this method when i add bees from one strong beehave to another small. yoy are wright, it works. but avoid do this in honey collecting period.

9. samo's beekeeping

thank you all for replying. if someone wants to visit samos please let me know. i will be glad to help.

10. Redcrane

Redcrane New Member

If you still have Fix beer I may come back.

11. samo's beekeeping

i born in athens and live there for 40 years. my family house was 100 m from fix company. when they prepare the lykisk all in the neigbourhoud get drunk from the smell.
    yes we have plenty of fix beer!! :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: