Chemically, How To Get A Beehive Ready For Winter? ( Taktic, How To Use It? )

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Viktor, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Viktor

Viktor New Member

Hello, Beekeepers, I am on my way to getting my beehives ready for winter, winterizing... I would like to use chemicals such as taktic... How would I use it and what other chemicals can I use? And please tell me how I can best winterize the beehive in Western Massachusetts? Thank You Very Much For Your Time!!

2. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Hi Viktor. Wish I could help. But, I like to keep my hives chemical free.

3. ablanton

ablanton New Member

I'm with Dave . . .

4. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

winterizing for cold winters is one subject, treating for mites is another. we can winterize our bees without any chemical treatments to kill mites.
    never heard of taktic viktor, so had to google it.......not really a recommended chemical treatment of mites on honey bees, our honey bees aren't cattle or swine. first, let me ask you, why do you want to treat your bees? do you have mites on your bees? if you have mites and a considerable level, and desire to treat them i would recommend something specifically for the treatment of mites in honey bees, look at api-guard, but there are many others on the market for the treatment of mites. you can find these on any bee supplier website, or better yet, by searching the forum for what others use or don't use and why. many of us don't use chemicals to treat for mites. like dave and andy i don't treat my bees anymore, and haven't for about 8 years now.

winterizing is looking now to see you have strong colones with good queens, and sufficient stores for them to overwinter on going into fall with winter coming. before cold weather hits, do you have some windbreaks for your hives? do you wrap/insulate your hive bodies? (i don't wrap here until about thanksgiving).
    also, we have some east coast beeks here in the forum; omie, eddy honey, or papa keith; (new york, new jersey and rhode island). perhaps they will find this thread and share how they get their bees ready for winter months. :grin:

5. litefoot

litefoot New Member

Isn't it too early to be treating bees? I would think you have another month before you pull off your honey supers and treat. I agree that you should treat only if needed. Here's a good video on getting a mite count.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvWfGMvy_zs