chemicals that do not hurt bees

Discussion in 'Organic Beekeeping' started by Brooklyn, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Brooklyn

Brooklyn New Member

We try to do as much organic gardening as possible at the house. We have plum, nectarine trees. a large rose and vegetable Garden. Several red maples and all sorts of flowers and plants. My question, is there some place that I can go to make sure what I use around the yard are not harmful to bees? We will be starting off this growing season with two hives. We have 1/2 and acer of land. I would like to be able to take care of the plants but not hurt the bees.

Thanks for the help
    Brooklyn

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

excellent question. I do not have a direct answer to your question. I would guess the meaning of 'hurt' would be the real question here.

3. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

I think various forms of insectacidal (sp?) soap is effective on many things, while being safe for bees when properly used, with no environmantal damage that I am aware of. I think I would seek some information on those type products as possibilities. And you can make your own rather cheaply. :thumbsup:

4. Omie

Omie New Member

Hi Brooklyn,
    If you have a lot that is 1/2 an acre, keep in mind that most of the time your bees are going to be much further out foraging- like 2 to 4 miles out from their hive in all directions.
    However, it's your trees that will attract a lot of attention from your bees when they are in flower..the fruit tress, the maples. I'd say focus on those in terms of learning about harmful spraying.
    As to the vegetables- why not just use organic fertilizer- better for you and the bees! :thumbsup:

5. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

The sad part is, in todays world, there are many chemicals, that would be far safer if people just followed the directions, and used some common sense. I'm not suggesting you should be using one thing or another with such a statement. Just noting that IF the homeowner used chemicals and sprays wisely, as per the instruction, and with the environment in mind, much of the damage could be limited.

It's like the apple grower that needs to spray. I can't beat my head thinking I can convince him to never use chemicals. But I can have rational discussions with him on practices that would limit any potential harm. It is the difference between spraying at 2 in the afternoon and just before dusk. It is making him understand that honeybees are just part of the pollination world. Even if the honey bees were safe by moving them, he should still know the environmental impact.

6. a1roses

a1roses New Member

I agree with the bee lovers - bees pollinate! If you perhaps have somebody who is allergic to bees in your household, get rid of the plants, not the bees.
    Save the bees!