chevy exec want to stop using the name chevy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by riverrat, Jun 12, 2010.

1. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Has anyone seen in the news chevrolet is wanting to get away from using chevy in there advertising in a company memo. They stated the are in the global market place and its all about name recognition. I jus dont understand why things like this have to change

2. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Few things are more American than the Chevy name... though I understand their vehicles are far from American today. If you ask me, THAT's the problem.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Maybe he wants to change it to Chevas..... I think most of them are made in Mexico now.

4. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Go w/ the flow, man. If a name change is what it takes to sell cars and stay in business then go for it. After all, "What's in a name? A rose of any color smells just as sweet." Sorry Shake.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

it's called branding in the marketing world.

imho...the company would show a bit more savy to invest in some engineering talent rather than more marketing. then fire all the brass who though dropping the name chevy was worth the breath.

6. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

My "new" (16,000 plus miles) Ford Transit Connect has such a beautiful name. Don't ya think?

I asked the dealer why Ford couldn't come up w/ a nicer name than Transit Connect and what does that mean anyway? Transit Connect. His answer was, that this vehicle, which is made in Turkey and Spain, has been on the market in Europe for years. And Transit Connect translates well across many European and Middle Eastern languages and understandings.

Makes sense to me. But I still wonder why they couldn't have just called a Ford TC and leave us wondering what the TC stood for. I bet most people don't know what GTO stands for. (what does it stand for?)

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I had a 68 Gran Turismo Omologato when i was in high school (dang I wish I never sold that car) while that is the real name of a gto. My shop teacher used to tease me said it stood for "Gas Tires and Oil"