Chicken Killer

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by tmrschessie, Oct 23, 2013.

1. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Well went down to get some things from the calf shed and seen a coyote in the coral area. Backed out quietly and got the old Winchester lever action 22 mag...had not shot it in several years so had to clean the dust off the lens...Did not see it so squeaked by sucking on the inside second joint of the middle finger. Nothing. Walked down the drive and back towards the tree line...he was skulking under a cedar...he took off on a path that would put him in an opening about 10 feet in length. Got a good shot off but he took off like a lot of lung shot coyotes do. Longer story shortened....found it about 100 yards away under a tree root by the dry creek bed...
    entry side
    [​IMG]

exit side...did not exit all the way.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heard several more about 4AM this morning so if his hide is any good some steel is going out....Tom

2. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Well here he is..47 inches from nose to base of tail...still has a few weeks till prime...the belly was very weak. However this chicken killer is done killing. Tom

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

by the last couple of pictures it appears you have done some trapping and some drying of pelts????

4. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Yes, I am a trapper/predator control guy...we have lost way to many in the current sceme of the things. I also like to show new comers how to properly care for the fur and hides they get. Tom

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

What other animals do you get in your neighborhood and what do you do with the properly prepared hides?

6. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

I catch bobcats, coon, skunks, possum, coyotes, mink, muskrat, and beaver. Mostly the first 5 as the land I trap is leased to out of state deer hunters and the water ways are frozen by the time I can trap. The fur is put up and then shipped to the North American Fur Auction to be sold to the highest bidder. This is an international auction with several hundred buyers present. The fur is then shipped to the high bidders facility to be processed in items sought by customers. As fur is a renewable resource, it is becoming back in fashion in a big way with buyers who are looking to help the environment. Nothing artificial in most garments. Here is a custom made beaver jacket a friend had made for his girl friend (who left him before it was sompleted) so he sold it to me. My wife does not wear it anymore so I am selling it if you would like it. Tom

[​IMG]

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Tom, I must confess, it looks real warm and comfortable, but the winters here being as they are, it might be worn only once in a few years. But if any of my friends are looking for a fur jacket I'll give them your link on the forum. :thumbsup:
    If someone gives you a bid before you hear from me, don't hold back the sale on my account.:grin:

8. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Just send me $500 and you can up the price a couple hundred over their..lol Tom

9. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

My daughters favorite hen went missing 3 days ago without a trace. I figured something big like what you posted must have taken it because there were no feathers or carcass laying around. Lo and behold the thing shows up at the back door yesterday morning without scratch :???:

10. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

I would say your daughter is very lucky. With dog and wild K9's, birds of prey, etc that bird was lucky....Tom

11. kg7il

kg7il New Member

Nice job.

I just missed one this morning.
    I had my AR15 Pistol handy, and was a foot level, rather than shoulder level.

Next time!