Chicken Tractor

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by Minz, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Minz

Minz Member

Unfortunately I cut and pasted the plans from multiple sites into the plans so I do not know who to credit. I am certain Mother Earth News is in at least one of them.
    I also do not know how the attachment came out ( I saved it as a PDF and hit attach).
    On mine I set up the nest box on the uprights and made it removable so that the box can be removed and dumped.
    I also did a resaw on a fir 2x6 so it is heavy!
    I did T1-11 siding on the coop and did not add asphalt roof too it. I thought it would be too heavy and too hot. I overlapped the top so that the coop could breathe and have a roof vent the entire top (vent rib raised by a width of the sheeting).
    I did plexi glass on the top and a T1-11 scrap on the bottom with a sliding door.
    I also added a side sliding door and added a extended yard that was 2’ wide to allow it to go between my rows of vegetables and keep the weeds down.
    http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n599/6minz/coopextend-1.jpg
    I changed wheels a couple of times,
    Here it is opened up on the side without the wheels.
    http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n599/6minz/2010_04240004.jpg
    I did a hinge on the entire side for cleaning but the hinges tore out so I used hanger bolts with nuts and washers on the top and the bottom.
    A Rottweiler tore into the side of the coop so I put a fence charger on it but would have been better off with using some concrete reinforcing welded cloth or field fence.

View attachment Mother earth hutch.pdf

2. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Very nice, how many birds will it house? I've been thinking about building one for a max of 6 hens. Jim

3. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Enlarges beautifully, thank you!

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

That is very nice. I would love to keep a few in the backyard but don't think all my neighbours would be pleased. They've been good with the swarm that moved into the backyard this summer so I don't want to push my luck.

5. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

If you just keep chickens they don't make much noise and the neighbors wont mind, but have one rooster and and you will have at least 10 pissed off neighbors. People lose their sense of humor when they get woken at 4:30 Am. In town we have a chicken Bylaw a few hens are aloud but no roosters. We also have one that allows bees in your back yard (with some restrictions) in the city.

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Very nice coop, when i was a youngster everyone had chickens, they roamed where ever they wanted to and at night there owners would shut them up in a shed.We had chickens here when the kids were home,but my wife wanted them in a pen (she remembered going bare foot in the summer when she was a kid.):roll: The city of Springfield, Mo. passed a law 2 years ago that allowed chickens inside the city, (hens only)they had to be pened and only 8 or 10 of them? Our bee club is working to get bees allowed within the city limits, and have made some progress:thumbsup:. Myself i miss hearing roosters crowing in the mourning, but if the wind is blowing from the south (in the summer with windows open) i can hear the neighbors roosters crowing from over the hill. Jack

7. Minz

Minz Member

It takes 4 hens.
    The last white leghorn we got clucks loud like a chucker (if you know what that is). They don’t make much noise. Neighbor had a rooster and it was housed a behind their house almost 200 yds away and it would still wake you up at 4 am. You get a rooster you better have good neighbors.
    Chickens will destroy the patch of ground in about 2 or 3 days (right to mud). I move the coop and you can see where it was for a couple of weeks.
    Oh yeah, another change was I put plywood base under the nesting box so I could pull out the trays and dump the crap into the gardens and make it easy to clean it. The lack of sun under the coop leaves a yellow spot if you do not move it a minimum of one time a week.
    I did a ‘Z’ entrance to block the door and make is small enough so predators are too skittish to enter the tight space. I put the feed and water under the raised nest box. It kind of doubles the living space from the plans.
    If you let the chickens out they return every evening almost exactly at sunset. They will tear up any loose ground to take a bath or look for bugs. Do not let them next to any new vegetable gardens, what they do not eat, they dig up.
    They eat about a pound of blueberries each and any strawberry they find.

8. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Sadly, I think I'm out of the chicken business today. There's a big black dog that has came through on occasion and killed them one by one. There was only one in the coop last night and none tonight. There's a chance it's in the brushpile for the night. But it's dark when I go to work and dark when I get home so it'll be Friday before I get an off day.

I hate to get into a fight with a neighbor, and I hate to kill a dog, but it's going to be one or the other I'm afraid. :(

I live in a rural area and have over 5 acres, and the dog lives a distance away. I'm hesitant to get more next year bit I probably will. But it's a sad day around here.

9. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Greg, you might do like a neighbor (dead now) use to do when dogs started running his cattle. He would shoot them and take the carcass and lay it along the Highway, no one was ever the wiser.:cool: Jack

10. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

I know growing up on the farm stray dogs. neighbors dogs i don't care what dog. Was shot on sight. You didn't wait for them to cause trouble. Don't want your dog shot. keep it at home.

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Farmers here would feed and secure dogs for the hunter to retrieve, unless said dog caused damage. I'm glad I didn't grow up where you did. A dog was only killed if it was causing trouble.

12. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Same here like iddee said, it's not as bad as it once was here in hillbilly country. There are some families still around (coon hunters, fox hunters,quail, and duck hunters, ect.) in this part of the country. If there dog is causing damage to your property,tell them and they will take care of it, but if you kill there dog and they find out that you did, well, most everyone has heard of the Hatfieds & McCoy's. That's how the neighbor i mentioned in post #9 kept this from happening. Jack