Chimney Bees

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by BKeilman, May 31, 2011.

1. BKeilman

BKeilman New Member

So...

http://danville.craigslist.org/grd/2413798426.html

This could be a nice break for me to get some free bees.

Unfortunately, I've never handled swarms before, let alone hives in chimneys!

I could research this, I'm sure, but I'd rather be a part of a community.

But while I wait, Research, ho!

Ben

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

35 years ago I got my first hive out of the attic of a house. 50 to 100 stings and then they died a month later.

I bought my second hive.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

But still 35 years later you still have the education and memory of those first ones, those ladies are good teachers and you must learn quick :lol:

Nothing like a good hands on experience to learn something new.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

BK is this inside of the eave or an exposed hive outside of the eave.

Sounds like a cut out to me.

What is with the exterminators telling everyone they can not kill honeybees? is there a law stating that? I have heard it from several different customers this year and one exterminator asked me but I had no clue what to tell him except that I did not know of one.

5. BKeilman

BKeilman New Member

Haha I think they're caught up in the notion that Honey Bees are a dying breed and if we don't save every last one we're all going to starve to death! Or so they say. That's what got me into the field, but even though they aren't quite in that much trouble, I still think they should be saved as often as possible. I think it's funny that some apiculturists complain about CCD while others let their bees die off in the winter!

Anyway, Apparently on the inside. The information I got was from the ad. I suppose

Here's some more from emails:

Hi Ben,
    I'm quite sure they are bees, not yellow jackets. I will try to get some pics this weekend when I am available during the daytime.
    Yes, they are outside of the chimney where the brick meets the eaves. I don't see any in the house and I don't think they are able to get in. But, if they are it would be in the small attic. The hive I described to you is all on the outside of the brick, I believe.
    I enjoy all nature/creatures, so they don't really bother me. I'd just prefer them not be on the house so I'd like for someone to come get them.
    If you want them, you are certainly welcome to have them. What do you do with your bees? Honey? Are you a beekeeper? Researcher?
    If you don't want them, do you know of anyone in the Brunswick County area of VA that would be qualified to remove them?
    Thanks,
    Susan

6. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Ironic. I own a full service chimney sweep/repair operation and last night I got a call for bees in the chimney here in Jersey. I've always turned this sort of thing down but this in entriguing now.

Any tips? I have an extra hive..

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Nothing ventured, nothing gained I say! :mrgreen:

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Depends on where they are at in the chimney, down inside the flue or in between the bricks inside the chimney itself, or could going in around the flashing/siding and in the roof or eave area.

Could be a trap out or a cut out.

9. BKeilman

BKeilman New Member

This is WAY beyond my league.

So, given that, I referred her to the Southside Beekeepers Association of Virginia, maybe they can help.