Christmas tree timeframe

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BjornBee, Dec 29, 2009.

1. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Well, this is a first for me. The Christmas tree went out the door today. Usually, we keep it up till at least past the new year, and sometimes till the second week of January. Once as a kid, we had a tree till the end of January.

So how lomg is normal for your family? And what is your record timeframe?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Growing up, it was 1 week before, 1 week after. My wife takes it down the day after Christmas, every year.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

we like to put it up the day after thanksgiving and take it down a day or two after Christmas.

4. Walt B

Walt B New Member

We get the tree around the middle of December and put it up the next weekend. Take it down on New Year's Day. Take all the decorations down at the same time, including 40+ Nativities, and usually finish before the Rose Bowl Parade.

During the next week we take the branches off the tree and use them for mulch. Eventually we use the tree trunk for either a post on which to put a nesting box, or anchor it in the pond for use by turtles and ducks.

Walt

5. rast

rast New Member

"Growing up, it was 1 week before, 1 week after". Same with me. For the past 3 years, it's just unplug it, and store it in the motorhome til next year.

6. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I usually try to have it down by Dreikonigstage (3 King's Day / Epiphany - Jan 6.) Emphasis on the "try."

One year, when I was living in an apartment, I had a cut tree that actually started sprouting new growth! I could not bear to toss it out into the snow. Darn thing sucked down about a gallon of water a day. I removed the Christmas ornaments and decorated it with red paper hearts for Valentine's Day. No joke! I think it gave up and I finally removed it around March 1st.

7. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

We don't have a set time frame. I just put one up when I get around to it and take it down when it starts getting on my nerves. I've never left one up past the 2nd week in January though.

8. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

As a kid we usally went and cut a cedar tree out of the swamp Thanksgiving day after eatting. It got taken down the day after New Years. Since I got married and the tree was fake so I didn't give a rip. I would come home from work and it would be up. I would come home some time after Christmas and It would be gone.
    Haven't had a tree of any sorts up since3 the last kid (son) went to college.
    We just have Christmas at Kares moms now.

:mrgreen: Al

9. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Ok, I've got a problem. Now the wife wants to know how long it will sit in the front yard.... :eek:

I told her the little birdies really love the place and can nest overnight, and use it as a windbreak... :thumbsup: I'm thinking it will be next week before SHE gets around to moving it.... :yahoo:

10. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

:) Home Depot had cut trees :shock: 50% of yesterday. they make great bunny shelters in the yard.

:mrgreen: Al

11. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

I was in Walmart the Tuesday before Christmas. An employee approached me and asked if I would like a free cut Christmas tree. She explained that the store had several left and they were giving them away. I picked my jaw up off the floor and said Thanks, but no thanks. I sincerely hope they went to someone that needed it.

12. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Well I'll be! The wife has not moved the tree yet. And she thinks she can win at this game. :lol: