chronic be paralysis and Varroa Mites

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by RAK, May 2, 2010.

1. RAK

RAK New Member

My Carpathian bees are sick. They are Cold and shaky. Their wings are horrible. I made their entrance smaller and took out some frames to keep more heat in. Also I fed them. I think the bees have chronic be paralysis because the drones are not acting right. I may be wrong. Also I noticed redish mites similar to ticks. Do you know what else I can do. The queen seems to be healthy. Does WesternBee sell medecine that will help my bees? What advice will you give me???

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Search for Varroa mite. It sounds like you have them bad. Yes, there are treatments on the market. Any supplier should have them.

3. RAK

RAK New Member

I think I answered my own question. My bees dont have paralysis. I got my bees from california. My bees have been taking poisnous pollen from fatal Buckeye plant. The conditions are similar to paralysis. Anyway I am safe now because these plants dont exsist here. I hope they recover from it. About 30% bees dont have wings and the drones are shaky nad cant fly.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

if you have visually noticed something as small as a varroa mite with you eyes unaided by magnification then you almost certainly have a varroa mite problem.

a poison plant will not cause deformities in the wings of the drones or workers. this is another sign that the hive in question has a very serious varroa mite problem.

what is a carpathian bee?

5. RAK

RAK New Member

Yes I have a serious Varroa problem. I got lots of medicine and mite pads and its starting to get the mites out. I think by August they will be fully recovered. Thats means this year there will be not much honey. There is a little honey in some frames. Carpathian bees are Ukrainen bees that are very mean bees, but tough. They are not as lazy as Italians, and they dont steal as much. I have have nothing against Italians. They have nothing in common with Russian bees. The carpathain queen is small compared to the Italian. I would recommend this bee to guys who want more honey. I have a friend who has Russian, Italian, and Carpathian bees and he always had the heaviest frames in the Carpathian hives. However all people have different facts and opinions so please dont get me wrong. I am not saying they are the best. I do not recommend this bee to people who cant take lots of bites. They are also VERY rare in United States. My avatar is a Carpathian.

6. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

I think there is something going on besides mites. DWV is almost in every bee. You don't always need mites to have the telltale signs of deformed wings, as many things can break down the immune system, then allow a previous exixting virus to do it's damage.

DWV is not really spread by the mites although that is true. DWV has been shown to be spread from the queen to eggs, mating, between bees, etc. The mites are really the trigger to causes the immune system to shut down or be overloaded, then deformed wings are seen throughout.

To have a hive be brought down by mites at this time of the year really brings in other possible factors. A hive this bad in May, usually has other factors at play such as genetics, chemicals, or something else. I think I would be looking to at least requeen since genetics, an infected queen, and other factors may be at play.

Good luck.

7. rast

rast New Member

Just a thought RAK. I have no idea if WA. even has a program or inspectors. Here in Fl., I could call my state bee inspector and he would come over and help me.

8. RAK

RAK New Member

I had an inspector come out and he told me to put Folric acid Pads. Thats what I did.

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Bjorn writes:
    I think there is something going on besides mites.

tecumseh:
    he got the bees from California the current title holder of the agricultural chemical waste lands of america award. could that be the something else going on?

I do agree that after I knocked down the mite population I would seriously consider changing out queens.

Thanks for the explanation of what a Carpathian bee is RAK.

10. RAK

RAK New Member

Good Idea!

I might do that once everything is running good.

11. RAK

RAK New Member

Just an update. Last fall my bees replaced my queen. She wasn't laying good. Anyway the new queen lays in a very good brood pattern.

I had Varroa and chalkbrood... Its one of my best hives now. Praise the lord.... Amazing how these bees don't use as much honey as Italians.

My solutions to Varroa was mint syrup. Ventilation was the solution to Chalk brood.

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Thanks for the update. It's always good to hear when things turn out right. Hope to see you posting often. Those Carpathian bees have my curiosity up.