City of Oak Ridge bee tree

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by G3farms, Sep 2, 2010.

1. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Got a call from the president of our county bee club wanting to know if I was interested in a bee tree, I said "sure, why not". She gave me a phone number to the "tree guy" who actually turned out to be the city animal control officer, he gives me a number to the "tree guy" who turned out to be the electric company field foreman. He tells me the bees are about 40 feet in the air and has not seen it. We set up a meet and greet for 12:30. Got on site and sure enough a bee tree at about 40 feet, big old dead white oak tree, 2 1/2 foot at the stump. Looked like it had been topped years ago and has four big branches growing out of the crotch and the bees are in the crotch. House on one side and power lines on the other, they are wanting to save the bees. My suggestion was to stuff a burlap sack into the entrance and trim the big limbs off until we can cut the main trunk down to size. Now the City of Oak Ridge, the electric company and the tree trimmers have to talk to the higher ups and will let me know in a couple days.

I thought it was kind of funny how Anderson county got a hold of Knox county club for a bee tree, and I live just inside of Loudon county.

to be continued..................................

Oak Ridge, TN, home to Walt Wright.

2. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Walt lives in Oak Ridge? I didn't know that.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I stand corrected he is from Elkton, TN.

Not sure who I was thinking about. :confused:

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Heard back from the electric company fella today and it is going to happen some time soon, he will give a days notice. They will cut it out and sit it on my trailer.

Someone was giving them some bad info, possibly a beek. They told the electric company fella he could borrow a bee suit, find and remove the queen and all of the other bees would leave the hive, then they could just rob out the honey. I got a good laugh out of that one.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

They sure can. The old saying if you pour salt on a bird's tail, you can pick him up.

If, If, If you can find the queen and remove her. That's the hard part.

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Well finally got the call that the tree trimmers have the big limbs cut down to where the trunk is manageable. Going to get it in the morning, going to give it to another beek that lives close by to try and help him get his numbers up. pics to follow.

7. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Well for got the darned camera again!! :ranting: :ranting:

Well anyway the tree trimmers and the electric company showed up and cut the top of the tree out and lowered it onto my trailer. The tree trimmer wanted to borrow a veil so I suited him up in my hooded jacket. I thanked all of the people involved and left a few cards for the next one. Took the tree over to Joe's house and pulled it off of the trailer with his brothers truck. Very gentle bees, on the small side (of which I like). The hollow must be at least four foot tall and eight to nine inches in diameter. The tree trimmers had made some plunge cuts into the side of the tree trying to see how far down the bees were so I had to stick some duct tape over them.

When this one is cut open it will definitely have to have the chainsaw, wedges would never bust open all of the knots on it. This is nothing but a giant knot with a hollow in it.

Joe said I could have the first swarm off of it in the spring :thumbsup:

9. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Make sure he doesn't feed them with a top mounted feed jar exposed to the sun/thermal expansion that might douse the bees in winter with syrup.

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I remembered the camera this time and can show the bee tree that was cut last year.

[attachment=1:2ffwqz1i]003.JPG[/attachment:2ffwqz1i]

[attachment=0:2ffwqz1i]004.JPG[/attachment:2ffwqz1i]

Joe got to see the bee tree swarm and called me to come and help him.

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      2.1 MB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      2.4 MB
      Views: