clarification on what a frame is.

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Yankee11, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Newbie,

This may be silly but I am reading and see numbers that don't add up. Is a frame considered both sides= 1 frame. or is 1 side of a frame =1 frame. Both sides would be 2. I read something that said up north you need 2 deeps with noe mediums. 20 frames of brood to survive the winter. Then they said you need 14 frames on honey. My math tells me you cant get 20 frames of brood and 14 frames of honey in 2 deeps.

If I have a full frame of brood I figured it meant both sides.

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Both sides is one frame.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

A frame is 1 top bar, 2 end bars, and 1 bottom bar. (both sides), so you are right, a frame of brood is both sides. :wink:
    Up here (Tundra land) We normally run 2 deeps (20 frames), not 20 frames of brood though. My guess is they meant 6 frames of brood and 14 frames of honey in preparation for winter winter.

4. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

I thought so, but when your new sometimes you can get crossways by taking things for ganted.

Thanks,

Down here people run 1 deep and 1 medium. Problem I'm having with 3 of my hives is that they are 1 deep and 3 mediums and there is brood in pretty much all of them. I don't know at this point how to get them down to 1 deep and 1 medium. And there is a good flow on.

I just added a medium to one last week because the deep and 2 mediums were full, busting with bees. 2 of my others are one deep and one medium. Their deeps are full and they are drawing out the mediums, so they should be right on track.

Then my queenless project.

But I am kinda stumped on what to do with the 3 very strong (full) hives. Should I be removing some of that brood and adding to the smaller 2. Or should I let them go on their own.

I m going to harvest some capped frames of honey next weekend but not much, maybe 4 or 5 frames total from all 3 strong hives. Goldenrod is just starting to bloom so they will be able to refill these frames after extracting.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Go into the 3 meds and take out all fully capped frames without brood. Put all frames with brood in the remaining supers. Then wait a week and see what it looks like.