Clean-up Mead put up yesterday.

Discussion in 'Products of the Hive' started by pturley, Aug 20, 2012.

  1. pturley

    pturley New Member

    Messages:
    419
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    I took the time to crush and strain all of the honey from my recent cutouts this past week. When all was done, I started cleaning up the mess.

    Instead of simply setting dishes outside for the bees to clean (risking prompting robbing) or simply washing the remaining honey down the drain, I took the time to weight the water I used to rinse the inside of each container. Once done, I re-weighed the resulting liquid, then added a bit more honey and water to finish out a batch of four gallons of future mead.

    To this I added a full packet*** of activated D-47 yeast.
    From what I read on this strain, this should result in a medium-bodied wine. I am not too fond of excessively dry wine.
    (***=enough yeast for 5-6 gallons using more sterile techniques. Heavy on the yeast to outcompete any possible contaminants).

    This was then split into three containers to ferment. Two gallons will ferment as a straight mead (honey, water, yeast).

    In another gallon I added cinnamon, a few cloves and a sliced orange (malomel).

    The third batch (last gallon) was much more experimental. I am trying one small stick of cinnamon along with a handful of dried juniper berries. This last one is expected to be either heavily spiced with a bit of a "gin-like" after taste or it'll just turn out danged aweful... ...time will tell I guess!

    Wish me luck! I should know if the yeast took in a couple of days.
     
  2. Iddee

    Iddee New Member

    Messages:
    8,996
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Sorry, Paul, but danged awful sounds to me like much better than gin-like. How people stand that garbage is beyond me.

    Anyway, I hope it comes out to your liking.