cleaned my garage today and

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by reidi_tim, Sep 3, 2012.

1. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

Did my annual garage cleaning today, which was probably two years over due , and found one of my 5 frames that I had forgot about. To my displeasure when I opened it up I found a large amount of wax moth larvae I think. I kinda remember bringing the nuc back to the house to use for capturing a swarm and well mom got sick and I for got about it until today. Are these wax moths? I have not seen anything like these in the hives at the farm and if so what can I do to get rid of them???? Eish I guess I need to get fitted for my next t-shirt:cry:
    wax.jpg

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Yep, that's them. Clean it all up and put new foundation in. Get it ready for net year.

Spray your foundation with BT.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Clean it all up. I would wait till next spring on the foundation though.

Be sure to pull the wedges off and scrape behind them, the worms like to borrow back there also. Just use your hive tool to scrape everything down and leave out in the sun, they hate the light. If you have chickens they will love the treat, if not go fishin'!!

4. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

If he placed the nuc in a freezer would that be cold enough to kill them?
    We get moth larva in our equipment but most of them are the codling moth that eats it way out of apples. We can have badly infested comb and the bees can clean it up easly.

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Even out of focus, the cocoons and damage of wax moths is clear. Freezing should do the trick. Another way to kill the caterpillars and larvae is by placing the frames in a solar wax extractor, if it's large enough to accommodate the size of frames. The added advantage of using the wax extractor is that you can recover the wax from the ruined honeycombs and afterwards it's usually easier to remove the cocoons and webbing from the frames.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

iddee says..
    Clean it all up and put new foundation in. Get it ready for net year.

tecumseh...
    woa there pilgrim. in between sentence one and two you place the larger larvae in a cup and go fishin'. evidently someone has their priorities all wrong???