cleaning a dead out?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Duck1968, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Duck1968

Duck1968 New Member

Today I checked my hive I started last spring and it is dead. It looks like it starved, lots of dead bees head first in cells. One of the frames has a 3†patch of capped honey on both sides. The hive was a single deep last fall I thought they had enough honey but obviously I was wrong.

I have ordered 2 4# packages for pick-up April 15th.

My question is what do I need to do to clean the frames up to reuse them this year?
    Can I put the frame with the honey in the freezer till April?

Brian

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

knock off or brush off the dead bees. they will begin to stink after a short while when they get damp and begin to decay. with the prevalence of nosema these days you might want to either place the frames out into bright sunshine (UV) or expose them to a black light (a radiation chamber would be the best approach, but I suspect most folks don't have one of those). just knock off the mass of stuff and don't worry about making them spotless since once your packages arrive those girls are pretty good at making their home spotless

store the empty frames where the rats and mice cannot destroy the wax (if you have frames in small numbers an old sealable trash can should work). at your location you could probable even store the honey frames in the trash can. if you decide to store them in 'your wife' freezer wrap with something since they will invariable make quite a mess.

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Tec says, If you decide to store them(frames) in your wife's freezer wrap them in something since they will invariable make quite a mess.

Sounds like someone who has been chastised and knows his place. :lol: Myself, i ask the wife what her stuff is doing on my half of the freezer,that i'm going to put bee stuff in there and she needs to move it. :thumbsup: She will say yes dear. :mrgreen: Jack

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

And then Jack gets up off the floor..........

5. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Wouldn't buying a second freezer be more economical than all those flowers you now have to budget for? LOL

6. Duck1968

Duck1968 New Member

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

ps Ducks... I brought my own freezer for my honey house. it is also good for controlling shb infestation in frames and for storing comb honey. and you are welcome.

8. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I like to kid the old guys like tec., Iddee, and Murrell. :mrgreen: But we did buy a freezer just for honey (comb honey mostly). I usually sell most of my comb honey before winter,so that leaves alot of room for other things.What i don't understand is ,we have 3 chest type freezers (one was supposed to be for honey) and they are all full. It also goes for the garage the barn,workshop, and outbuildings.(bee stuff mostly) Then when we want somthing,we don't know where it's at. Does this ring a bell, or is it just us. :lol: Jack

9. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I'm the same way, Dad taught me to not throw anything away, it has some kind of value.

Most things are found once you go and buy it again. :roll:

10. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I have a basement full of "just in case" and a lot of "you never know". :mrgreen: