cleaning equipment after extraction

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by gmo1293801, Sep 14, 2009.

1. gmo1293801

gmo1293801 New Member

Whats the best way to clean equipment, supers, cappings, extractor, bottling tank, after use?

2. Bhodi

Bhodi New Member

I cleaned up my frames by putting them on top of a colony that needs to be fed (inside a super, of course). After only one day they left not a drop of honey. I removed the frames, and left the super. After draining for a few days, the sticky wax from the crush and strain was put on 3 cookie sheets and stacked up with wooden shims- just scrap wood, maybe 1/2" x 1/2" x 16"- between each and I stacked them up in the super. They seem to like it just fine.

Anything else I've left out in the yard for bees to clean up just attracts yellowjackets.

3. rast

rast New Member

Frames and supers, like Bhodi said.
    Cappings just drain (lots of honey there). Then into wax melter.
    Extractor and tank. Pressure washer.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

like several other here I simply place 'the wets' back on top of a populated hive for cleaning. I remove these I my leisure, never being in any hurry since the later I wait the less concerns I have with pulled wax and wax moth.

for my extracting/bottling equipment I use a spray bottle with warm water and a slosh of clorox added.

5. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

I'll normally set the boxes, pans and whatever else, out for the bees to clean up.

When I extract, I do not get real picking about every low area or getting every cell open So there is usually a good amount left in the boxes. I extract at a yard where I do late splits, so they need the feed anyways.

6. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Be aware that extractors and pans that have pools of honey in the corners can become like the LaBrea Honey Pits to your bees, and trap and kill them. I throw a handful of woodchips or grass or something in them and set them out. Heck, I'm going to be washing/sterilizing them later.

Just don't ask me how I know this. Let's just say that it takes a real long time to pull stuck bees out with a twig, place on a screen or sieve, and rinse with a sprinkling watering can.

7. gmo1293801

gmo1293801 New Member

Thanks for the great input, always learn alot from you all

8. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Supers are loaded on a trailer and taken out in a feield several hundred yards from any of the colonies which allows the girls to rob out.
    I bring them back in at night and cover them with a tarp.

The uncapping tank I just set out in front of the honey house as it is mostly scraped clean and mop it.
    [​IMG]

The cappings get melted down by either the solar melter if it is hot enough or the wax melter.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The extractor I have mop pail and wringer set up just to scrub it out, then rince it with a hot water hose.
    Holding tanks get the same treatment.

:mrgreen: Al

9. riverrat

riverrat New Member

i set everything out in front of the honey house and let the girls clean it up.