Cleaning Hands

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Steve10, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Steve10

Steve10 New Member

Any tips on cleaning propolis off your hands and/or what to use on your hands to keep propolis from accumulating?

A mechanic buddy of mine would always put hand lotion on his hands. Said it made cleaning the grease and grime off his hands easier. I've always been a little worried that some of the ingredients in the hand lotions would be toxic to the bees.

Anyway, maybe I handle frames wrong, but by the time I'm done inspecting a half dozen hives, I need a hive tool to separate my stuck-together fingers. :D Usually, use rubbing alcohol and a rag to clean my hands, but it seems there must be an easier way. Guess it could get pretty ugly if I grabbed the smoker and accidentally lit my alcohol drenched hands on fire!!

Anyone ever use Mineral Oil or Vaseline on their hands for this purpose?

Thanks, Steve

2. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

We use dish soap before for fiberglassing with poly or epoxy resins. I have tried it before painting too.

3. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

I don't know whether hand lotion would prevent propolis sticking, or not. One factor to think about is that most hand lotions contain some type of perfume.
    I keep a small spray bottle of rubbing alcohol in by tool box just for hand cleaning.

4. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

I think anything with smell, (as mentioned above with perfume) would just provoke a sting or two.

I normally wear powdered latex gloves. (100 for 6-7 dollars) Easy to use, throw them after your done, and they deter most stings. Hands do sweat. I normally wear them for full size hives, and skip them for nucs.

5. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

i use peanut butter to get it off...works great on pine tar too.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

and a big hello to MamaBeek... peanut butter, who would have thought???

7. Skyhigh

Skyhigh New Member

PB works on that tar gunk that sometimes washes up on beaches, too. ;)

8. Steve10

Steve10 New Member

Thanks gang, all good ideas. I'll try them next season as I just finished tucking all my girls in for winter. I must admit that's a new use for peanut butter. I LOVE peanut butter, so I'll try that next time I'm all sticky with propolis. Is crunchy or smooth better? LOL Actually, probably the best thing I've used to clean my hands after a a day of working the hives is Fast Orange hand cleaner with pumice, but was trying to think of a "pre-treatment" before I got sticky and PB sounds like it has some promise. If nothing else I'll have a nice snack in the bee yard!

I've tried the gloves, they worked well until they got too sticky. Trying to put on another pair with sweaty hands was just was too difficult for me, but work well if I just inspect a few hives.

Steve

9. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Thanks Mama:
    I didn't even think of peanutbutter.
    It also works for getting chewing gum out of a childs hair for when he/she goes to bed with gum in his/her mouth.

10. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Peanutbutter mixed with honey :confused: Oh, i see, that way you would keep your fingers licked off. :lol: Good one Mama. Jack

PS. welcome back Mama beek, hope you and the family are over your sickness.

11. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Well...hey there back to y'all :wave: We're doing better bit by bit...I reckon that's all a gal can expect.

Peanut butter is a wonderful tool, it will take those nasty black scuff marks off of tile floors too. I'm VERY well versed at using it to get a VERY wide variety of stuck and sticky items out of a child's hair too...both of my girls should remember that trick when their own little girls decide to "decorate" their hair with the pretty pink and green bubble gum ;)

XLB thinks peanut butter is a food group that is necessary to his survival so we have shifted to using more peanut oil for sticky stuff...it's works almost as well. I have coated my hands in some of Baby Beek's homemade salve before to keep the propolis easier to remove, it didn't irritate the bees and most of the propolis rolled up when I rubbed my fingers together.