Cleaning Old Wax

Discussion in 'Products of the Hive' started by onehorse, Jan 9, 2010.

1. onehorse

onehorse New Member

We got someold comb from the cutout that we did last summer. I have melted it down in a water bath and strained it a couple of times through a couple different types of cloth (cheese, rags, etc.), but I am still getting a dirty film on the top and the bottom of the cooled wax. What am I doing wrong or do you trim that off? Thank you!

2. Hobie

Hobie New Member

The man who taught the first class I took swore by old sweatshirt material. I've had good luck with old comb in my Rube Goldberg solar melter using a heavy-duty "shop" paper towel. Of course, it seems 95% of that old black comb stays on top of the towel, and not much passes through.

3. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Use the old junk for firestarters.... :thumbsup:

4. onehorse

onehorse New Member

Now Bjorn! I can't do that, this is wax from our first ever cutout! I want to do something special with it, and, ummm, that wasn't exactly what I had in mind.

5. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I understand! Just don't expect much quantity. I was astounded, and very disappointed, with my first cut-out, that most of the black comb just seemed to vanish into crud, leaving very little wax. Makes you wonder how it keeps its structure.

6. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Mold it into a ball, (optional: paint it), and then hang it as a Christmas tree ornament. You have it as a yearly reminder of that special day.... :Dancing:

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

:rolling: :rolling: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rolling: :rolling:

G3

8. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

In all honesty...I've never understood the whole "Lets make Christmas tree ornaments with beeswax" thing.

9. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Maybe it harkens back to the days of having candles on the tree, and the smell of beeswax...?

10. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

I bet all the way back to the last time someone used the word "harken"...... :lol:

11. fatbeeman

fatbeeman New Member

I use a 20 qt kettle with half full of water boil then pour thru a strainer push out the wax with a hive tool. into a 5 gal bucket leave harden then wax will harden and dirt settles scrap off the excess dirt after you do this save all the pattys then put new water in kettle;e about 2 inches from bottom then add all the cakes to it. soon as all melts pour into a bucket then you will get very clean wax final scrap from bottom bingo clean wax.
    I tried the shear curtains and coffee filters all the other messes this works and simple.
    Don