cleaning up frames and yellow jackets

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Bhodi, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Bhodi

Bhodi New Member

I had a colony away from the house that was weak and got robbed out. I brought the boxes home and left them out ~200' from my bees so they could clean out the last of the honey. Well, I had more yellow jackets than honey bees, so I put them in the shed. YJ's are still getting into them!

So, two questions:
    How do I deal witht he YJ's? I found this post that mentions the 2-liter bottle trap. I made one, but they don't seem at all interested. What else can I try?

I was reluctant to put the robbed-out boxes on the hives at home because we have a lot of goldenrod and aster out right now. I want the frames cleaned out, not filled up. Is there a way to arrange things to encourage them to take honey out and not put it away?

Thanks

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Put the supers on your hives ON TOP of your inner lid. They will carry the honey down. Leave them about 3 days and check them. It is best to freeze them for 24 hours, if possible, before doing it, in order to kill the wax moths and eggs.

3. Bhodi

Bhodi New Member

Thanks! I'll do it tomorrow.

Any reason not to stack both deeps on the lighter of the two colonies?

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

No reason I can thank of.

5. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Good year for yellow jackets. I have at least 4 nests in the yard, where I usually find maybe one.

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

The yellow jackets around here are not bad this year for some reason, now last year they seemed to be everywhere.

This year it is the sweat bees out in force and those black biting flies were bad in the spring.

G3

7. Charles

Charles New Member

We had lots of yellow jackets here this year, much more so than last. I've have 3 nests just in the front yard :-(