Clothing

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by crazy8days, Jan 31, 2012.

1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Do any of you make your own bee suit? I have Tyvek suits at home and ones similar that are more a breathable cotton, poly blend suit with elastic cuffs and pant legs. For starts I have then leather gloves with extra long cuffs that I use for welding. Don't picture thick welding gloves. These are thin. (I'm tough) lol. I will have to purchase a veil. I have an old plastic bump cap I could sure with it. What do you think? Any better ideas?

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Find an old pair of white coveralls, have a zipper sewn on around the neck that matches the zipper on one of those zippered veils.
    A little velcro for straps at the wrists and ankles, viola!

3. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

I just bought one of those zip in veils, man they are nice! I was using the old string type and after a couple of shots to the juggler I decided it was time to upgrade.

4. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Tyvek coveralls work fine, but they get a bit toasty. They are also not sting-proof where they are tight against the skin, like bent knees - to this I can attest! Some velcro straps around the ankles and you're good to go.

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

After a lot of sweating the metal screens on the front of my veils rust through and become useless. They can be repaired easily by replacing the metal screen with a fiber-glass or plastic screen. these can be bought by the meter (foot, yard) in hardware stores, cut to size and stitched in instead of the metal. A sewing machine is great, but I can't see why hand stitching shouldn't work just as well.

6. Yote Shooter

Yote Shooter New Member

For ME, I will pay for the complete suit and attached veil. Just posted another post of going into them today. They would have killed me if given the opportunity. Not this GUY!
    Does not bother me at all to have them buzz and attack, so I know that it is not a fear scent I am giving off. But they would get me nearly every time out to work them.
    I am cautious when moving frames and cover or such. When I stand around them without working them they do not bother me. Some bump in passing.
    Not affraid of them but will never work a hive without complete protection.

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Me either, Yote Shooter, me either. :eek: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Yote Shooter

Yote Shooter New Member

Call me weak..... I just laugh. Not this guy....EVER !!!!!!!
    However I do respect those that can do it.
    Once I had a short pair of shoes on and they hit the front of both ankles in the first minute. 3 stings on right, 2 on left. No provocation at all. I just walked away. But I hurt for a week. Swollen to the point of difficult to keep movement in both ankles. Will NOT happen again. Laughing about it now, but wow when it happened.

9. letitbee

letitbee New Member

I use an old pair of Nomex coveralls I borrowed from work ;) They can't sting through it but I forgot about the hole in the back of the left arm and they found it :eek: They will find any chink in your armor. I don't know how some beeks can do it without armor, and I don't care to find out. I thought I was cool when I installed my package bees and wasnt wearing any armor and they were very docile. Then I opened the hive one day and found out they were queenless :shock: I don't know how many times I got stung but that was the end of au natural beekeeping.

10. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

You must eat nails for breakfast!
    :coolphotos:

11. Omie

Omie New Member

There's that NEKKID MAN in the forums again!!! :eek:

Moderator! Moderator!!

12. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

He eats lightning and cr@ps thunder does our Iddee! :thumbsup:

Hey Iddee, in another thread you said "Sure glad I carry".
    My question based on these photos is...........................................Where? :eek: :shock: :mrgreen:

13. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

You folks quit picking on my buddy Iddee.

The last time the aliens abducted him, they told him he could work bees without a shirt, and by golly-he can. :rotfl:

In all seriousness, I respect those folks who can work the girls without protection. Maybe, after a few more years, I will be as bold. Until then-full riot gear.

14. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    Do any of you make your own bee suit?

tecumseh:
    of several different varieties... all us old guys cannot do the nekkid bee keeper thing, don't ya' know?

all bee suits are not created equal. there are plus's and minus's to all. most days I simply wear long sleeve shirt, pants, alexander veil and sometimes gloves and sometimes no gloves. on rare occasions, like in the process of shaking* bee or totally taking apart a hive for making nucs in the spring of the year, a full suit is helpful (but not absolutely essential).

the largest difference I see in the various bee suits I have is the kind of material used for the veil (see efmesch post above) and the wire type veils does allow for better visability... the soft screen mesh less visability.

15. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

[quote="tecumseh"
    the largest difference I see in the various bee suits I have is the kind of material used for the veil (see efmesch post above) and the wire type veils does allow for better visability... the soft screen mesh less visability.[/quote]

I agree wholeheartedly on this point. If I am on the hunt for eggs, I sometimes have to wear my old original suit with the hat and veil with the wire screen. The newer Sherriff suit has the cloth screen and I have a hard time seeing eggs. Will have to wait on my Ultrabreeze this summer to see if it is any different.

16. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

I have one hive that I can work without any protection on. The other one, no way. There is always at least one bee out of that hive that has to sting or try to sting.
    Robert

17. djdhays

djdhays New Member

Dana Stahlman, president of the Ohio State Beekeepers Association gave this advice when he spoke at our annual banquet, I'm paraphrasing. If your bees are aggressive once in a while, work them when they're not. If your bees are aggressive all the time, kill the queen. I am every bit as brave as naked dude right now, although considerably more modest. I live near a school and there are things little kids just shouldn't have to look at. Me without a shirt on is one of those things. My bravery will probably wane the first time I get stung in a soft spot. (I've been stung by honey bees twice in my life, both times in the forehead. Everywhere else is a soft spot.)

18. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

dydhays says: "there are things little kids just shouldn't have to look at. Me without a shirt on is one of those things."
    "I've been stung by honey bees twice in my life, both times in the forehead. Everywhere else is a soft spot."

:lol: :rolling: :rotfl:

19. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

If you can find it, take a glance at the blog note I wrote when Ifirst joined the forum.

20. Hobie

Hobie New Member

As long as iddee keeps the pants, I'm okay with it!