Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Enjoy some shots of the clover and wildflower fields...the bees are working real hard on this clover field!
Flower Sky Plant Green Nature Flower Plant Sky Ecoregion Tree Flower Sky Plant People in nature Natural landscape Plant Sky Flower Natural environment Natural landscape Plant Sky Flower Plant community Ecoregion Plant Flower Terrestrial plant Herbaceous plant Groundcover Flower Sky Plant Natural landscape Vegetation

Attachments

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A new wave of flowers have popped up. I didn't see one honey bee on them. They are focused on my white clover. Heck, they may not be able to collect from coreopsis, black eyed susan or blanket flowers...
Flower Plant Sky Cloud Natural landscape Flower Sky Plant Ecoregion Cloud Flower Plant Plant community Ecoregion Petal Flower Plant Plant community Ecoregion Petal Flower Plant Plant community Green Petal Flower Plant Petal Grass Herbaceous plant

Attachments

·
Registered
983 Posts
Don't worry, they will get to them, clover is always numero uno,but they will find the way to others.
Nice pictures:thumbsup:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Mine are on the clover,

Flower Plant Grass Groundcover Flowering plant
bearded tongue, the burgundy colored foliage plant with white flowers
Plant Water Flower Plant community Natural landscape
veronica (pink speedwell)
Flower Plant Terrestrial plant Groundcover Flowering plant
and mostly on the butterfly bushes
Flower Plant Purple Flowering plant Shrub
and butterfly plant.
The orange field wild flower...
Not sure how beneficial to honey but they are working them.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome....did you build that pond for landscaping? Looks like a fountain there of sorts right? Looks good...

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yes, It is all man made. We started with a sand pit in 2009. It has a Goldfish Pond in the middle with 3 gold fish, A fountain that only runs with our hose for now and it all is irrigated to run ditches to the "lazy river" for the larger wildlife. Deer, rabbits, birds, and frogs, drink an bathe. Plant Flower Plant community Botany Terrestrial plant Cloud Plant Sky Shade Tree Plant Cloud Sky Window Plant community

Attachments

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very impressive...allot of work there...how tempting was it to put one of your hives right in the middle of that? I would love to sit in the evening and watch the bees in the landscaping...

·
Registered
323 Posts
This plot started out a a barren area the previous owners were going to use as a horse paddock. We used it for fourwheelers - the kids did donuts. Then the water started pooling here and there...I got out the shovel and started most of the digging. Phew! Steve and I both took turns digging by hand...Then scrap wood, Portland (we had plenty of sand), blocks and UGL waterproofer....Three years later!

" I would love to sit in the evening and watch the bees in the landscaping..."

We do just that, They are at the fountain, sun up to sundown. They love the fresh cold water. Ten at a time skip the surface, drinking on the fly, while others land in the sand and fill up. There are little footprints from the bees in the little ditches...others land on the pond lily pads (craft foam lily pads to keep the sun out and control algae).

It is a work in progress and I don't think we will ever be completed. It is very informal and the goal is a natural woodland setting. We control weeds by planting weeds we want basically, like herbs. The wild life at dusk is a comedy show. There is a mocking bird nest in the hollywood juniper so she controls the garden for now. Lots about this garden on our blog, but it started like this...
Plant Plant community Land lot Tree Grass 2009
Plant Cloud Sky Natural landscape Land lot Sky Cloud Plant Natural landscape Land lot 2012

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts