Club spring outing

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, May 1, 2011.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

We had a great turnout yesterday, over eighty members showed up at the farm. Even though it was clouldy with threat of rain. :thumbsup: The club furnished the meat and all members brought a dish (casserole, dessert, ect.) you never seen so much food, and most of it ate. Had two groups for on hand classes, one for advanced beeks (grafting queens) and one for beginners.Three mentors for three groups of beginners(i took one group) with nuc's and hives we went through 30 colonies. Lots of questions and hopefully answers, many never seen inside a working hive.They were excited to find out what worker brood, drone brood, and what a queen cell looked like and we found several queens. The only disappointment was, i told them i had a hive i thought was going to swarm and i would show them how i split them apart find the queen and make nuc's from swarm cells (I found swarm cells in it the day before), well when we got to it they were hanging in a cedar (two swarms as big as a basketball) over the creek (45 ft. from creek bed to the swarm) some wanted to try to get them but i discouaged it (liability). I took the group to my swarm traps 300 yrds. away and i put some drops of lemongrass oil on their landing boards and scouts were coming to them before i got off the ladder. They were very intrested in my set up and several said they were going to nail some 2x4's in there trees for swarm traps.All in all it was a success, they didn't get to see a nuc made, but they did get to see what a swarm was and how to make a swarm trap. Now my wife and i have to get rested back up. :drinks: Jack

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Beautiful day, Jack. You will be remembered for that day for many years to come.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Jack that sure is grand of you to open your farm for others to come and gather to learn at! :thumbsup: