Cockroach infestation in new hive

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by hardwied, Jun 20, 2012.

1. hardwied

hardwied New Member

I have a cockroach infestation (saw about 20, large & small) in a fairly recently established hive where I'm concerned that the queen is not laying up to snuff so not as robust a hive as I'd like.

Any ideas on how I can get the roaches to scram without hurting my bees so I can then deal with the queen issue ? The hive is right on a creek and has tall grass etc around so this may be a continuing problem unless I can figure something out.

Appreciate any posts in response.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

1. Be sure the hive is in full sun most of the day.

2. The flat side of the inner cover goes down, the open side goes up.

3. Mow the grass.

4. Welcome to the forum.

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Welcome to the forum..........Iddee, you are surely a character....

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Just a senile old man having fun in his last 99 years, and trying to leave a little something behind. :D

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Hardwied--Wow! another Texan in the forum. :clapping: Welcome. "Howdie" in my neck of the woods comes out as "Shalom".

Roaches are very unpleasant, but harmless insects. I don't think they'll do any damage to the hive or to the bees. If you open the hive, go through it and brush out the roaches, that should put an end to the issue. The guard bees should prevent re-infestation. If the population isn't stong enough, reduce the size of the entrance.

6. riverrat

riverrat New Member

if need be reduce the size of the hive down to an area they are able to defend until they start to grow in numbers. welcome to the forum

7. Murrell

Murrell New Member

I see you are from Dallas, about 100+ miles to the East of you is Tyler, Tx. The cockroach capital of the world !
    They have/had 3 in.+ cockroaches.
    They also had cockroach races in the bars and at special events.
    No matter how clean you kept your house you had these uninvited guest, sprays were useless.
    Perhaps with help bees can control them !

Hopefully in the 20 years since I was there, they have gotten rid of a few of them.

Murrell

8. Dakine

Dakine New Member

Here in Hawaii the roaches are as big as hummingbirds and fly like a out of control hummingbird. No fun to get smacked n the face with one. Get them out of the hive as they will reproduce in it BIGTIME. They also live in cesspools and sewers. NOT your cleanest house guest.

9. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Forcing cockroaches to race in bars and special events???? Where was PETA on that one? ;)

10. beewitched

beewitched New Member

We have a couple of hive that are close to a wooded area and had noticed a few very large cockroches in those two hives. We also were worried about shb and had purchased hood beetle traps for our hives. We used peanut butter and mineral oil in these traps. while we haven't had any shb, we have caught and killed about 20 roaches in these traps. here is the url where we purchased them http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/Hood-Small-Hive-Beetle-Trap/productinfo/296/

11. hardwied

hardwied New Member

Thank you to all who replied - very helpful & I really appreciate it.