Cold Cures

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by Hobie, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Hobie

Hobie New Member

It's that time of year!

What is your "tried and true" cure for the annual cold and cough?

My husband is currently moping around the house, sniffling and coughing. I, meanwhile, have been on the defense with my rather unappealing "Echinacea Mud Tea." 1 tsp of powdered Echinacea Angustifolia in a mug of boiling water, and a teaspoon of honey to make it tolerable. It's kind of an opaque olive green color and tastes like something you just scooped out of the bottom of a pond (with honey in it), but if you can manage to drink a mug, it seems to really kick-start the immune system.

It goes without saying that my husband does not believe in this. *hack!* *cough!* *sniffle!* His loss.

2. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

thyme added to that echinacea brew or on it's own will go a long way to relieving congestion and help some with a cough. we eat lots of garlic and onions with a cold too. you can make a great garlic broth and add in the thyme and oregano for the immune boosting properties as well as the congestion and blah feeling.

We also use the honey and cider vinegar to keep the bacteria from getting out of hand in the throat. Since we started doing that I have not had to treat anyone for strep around here. That works best if the vinegar is raw and unfiltered.

If you are a die hard person for the natural route there is a homemade ointment called GOOT that really helps with almost any kind of infection. We make up a batch and put it on the bottoms of the feet and that seems to help.

Ginger baths will break a fever and help with aches and pains or chills.

We also use a sinus wash bottle. My husband is a welder and used to battle sinus infections every few weeks. I hated him having to take antibiotics so often and started looking for other ways to treat the problem since exposure to gases and dust and such is not avoidable for him. He has not had to take antibiotics one time since we started it over two years ago. Little Man used to get severe nosebleeds in the winter and those have stopped too.

Mini saunas are so comforting and help break up congestion in the head. Just take a big kettle full of boiling water, pour it into a large bowl or pan. Add peppermint, eucalyptus, and rosemary, either fresh or drops of essential oil. drape a towel over your head and give yourself a nice soothing steam treatment. My husband becomes addicted to these to the point of using a mug full of the stuff and just carry it around with him.

I know there are more but my mind is going blank right now.....

3. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

elderberry syrup! I knew I was forgetting something. Baby Beek and I make huge batches of elderberry syrup every year.... kind of like the commercial Sambucol . That will cut the life of a cold or flu down dramatically. I don't care for the taste of it but I like it a whole lot better than getting sick!

4. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

I love the taste of it when you mix it with lemonade, 7up, or gingerale!

5. Charles

Charles New Member

Thanks Mama Beek, we'll have to try some of of those. I like to set the water in the shower about as hot as I can take it and sit there on a stool till I've drained that 50 gallon water heater. Clears me up and makes me feel much better...

6. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

How about some good old fashion.....sleep! Rest and plenty of it.

7. honeybear

honeybear New Member

Hey Hobie,
    Check out this link http://live.psu.edu/story/27584
    They've found out that honey is better than OTC cough
    syrups. That's right...just plain honey is better than
    Robitussan, etc.... Stay well

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Add a little lemon juice and moonshine to it makes it even better.

9. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Iddee that is what I would call cough syrup. And yes it works, daddy always used southern comfort instead of shine though.

G3

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

We was too po' to buy that sto' bought stuff.

11. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Well, I am adding my two cents worth to this subject because I just got over a horrible cold. I hadn't had a cold in about a year, so I paid the price for good health. For the sore throat that came first, I poured salt down my throat. It stopped the sore throat immediately and lasted for about 1 1/2 hours. The trick is to keep it off your tongue. This is SUPPOSED to shorten the duration of the cold. I can't vouch for that.
    For the runny nose and cough, I bought a can of Simply Saline. I think this does the same job as a Neti pot. You hold over a sink, tilt your head to one side and press the trigger. It squirts a saline solution up to the sinuses and cleans them out. End of the runny nose. Because your sinuses run down the back of your throat, that makes you cough. With this stuff, I had no sore nose and no exhausting cough. Sorry if I grossed anyone out, but a trash can full of dirty kleenex is pretty gross too.

12. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

I've never heard of pouring salt down your throat.....I'm not sure I'm brave enough to do that though. We've been using plenty of zinc and vitamin C this winter too and seem to have kept most of the colds at bay. I'm glad you found some things that worked for you! Colds are miserable.

13. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Hobie,
    As a beekeeper, you have easy access to pure propolis. Take a chunk (about the size of a chicklet) and give it to your huband to chew it... and chew it... and chew it. If you chew it long enough it tends to "disappear" (little by little tiny pieces break off and get swallowed).
    It doesn't taste very pleasant (sort of peppery) but it is soothing and there are people who swear for it's medicinal properties.