Cold Split

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by davers, Nov 19, 2014.

1. davers

davers New Member

New beek since April of 2014 and thinking ahead I need some food for thought. I currently have one hive with 2 deeps and and a super. I would like to split in Feb-April when the flow starts here in N. California USA. Our main flow is the almonds that bloom the middle of Feb through March. At that time the temps get as low as 29 F degrees sometimes and high is about 65 F degrees. Mid summer can get up to 105 F degrees. In our area the rest of the year there is always something blooming but the almonds is the major bloom. Is it too cold to split and if so, when would I be able to. Also, is it better to move the queen and have the orginal hive make their own? Im more of a hobbyist and want to keep it down to 2 hives and maybe a nuc. Thanks for any imput that you may have.

2. LazyBkpr

LazyBkpr New Member

If your going to raise your own queen for the split, you have to make sure you have drones. Once the drones are beginning to pop SPLIT.. If you care to open drone cells to check their development, when they are in the purple eye stage you can split.. By the time your new queen emerges, and prepares to make her first flight, those drones will be mature enough to mate..
    If your going to BUY a queen you can split a little earlier, but doing it on the flow as you indicated is usually the best.