Cold, wet spring

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by rast, Feb 21, 2010.

1. rast

rast New Member

Cold wet spring = chalkbrood. I have it in one that has/had the slide in the bottom board. Removed it and now to ventilate the top for a while. Queen seems to outlaying it.

2. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

how many brood chambers do you use? Usually while wet happens, with two brood chambers, and even with entrance reducers inplace, especially now with screened bottom boards in common usage would think chalkbrood would be quite limited?I ask about how many brood chambers you use, my first thought is if using 2, as most do, with all else mentioned, were you to rotate the brood chambers and clean off the bottom boards of hive debris,( please don't applaud too loudly as I have already done that this week :yahoo: .) would think that you would be set, with regards to the chalkbrood thing.
    Barry

3. rast

rast New Member

This one happens to be a 10 frame double deep with a med full of stores on top. I left the slide in the SBB with a 5" entrance. No upper ventilation.

4. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Out of curiosity, do you use mountaincamp to control moisture in the hive?

5. rast

rast New Member

SgtMaj, nope. SBB's, no inner cover, sometimes vent the covers if I see chalkbrood. Until it clears up. Too many hive varmints to leave it vented during the summer. Too much area for guard bees to cover.

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Rast do you have problems with ants when using SBB?

G3

7. rast

rast New Member

The ant problem is beyond my understanding yet. I am speaking of bull ants (we call em). A hive has to be darn near dead before fire ants go into it. I have fire ant beds under a couple of my hives and the only place I find them is around the inverted feeders on the outside of the cover. (I hope they like SHB larva :)).
    In the past, I have had bull ants take over a weak hive. But, through the front door, not through the screen. I see them often trying to get in past the guard bees on some hives, but run right back out. When the bull ants do take over a hive, they will lay their eggs in the comb just like the bees. I don't know why they apparently don't use the SSB to get in.

8. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

As for ventilation, I use a inner cover and telescoping outer cover, , ants are not a issue for me anyway.

9. rast

rast New Member

Took the slide out and ventilated the migratory cover and chalkbrood is now gone.