Colic. or waiting for a horse to poop.

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by Papakeith, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

It has been a long day here.
    Started around 7:30. My wife came in and said she had called the vet. When you go into a horse stall in the morning and there is no evidence of manure you know there is an issue.
    8:30 the vet arrives. For those that haven't witnessed treatment for colic, I'll spare you specifics, but suffice it to say, it involves lots of oil, rubber hoses and arm length plastic gloves.
    nothing
    The impaction was/is located in the cecum. Not good.
    So, we started an IV and then another. Then two more on a slower drip.
    still nothing.
    We finished up the last bag around 5:30. We walked him various times during the day.
    nothing
    When the last bag finished we went inside for supper.
    At 8:00 we went out to give him another walk and there it was. . . one, single 3" orb of poop. Not a pile, a chunk. But that gives us hope. That means it is moving. Hopefully the trend will continue.
    We will go back out at 10:00 and see what there is to see. Hopefully there's lots to see.

It has been a long day here.

2. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Colic is always on our minds especially with our 26 year old QH. Was/Is he drinking?

3. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

As far as we knew, he was. But, he's a mid 20s gray Trakehner. He also has multiple external cysts. Now he's apparently developed cysts inside his bowels. This may not be his last night, but his time is coming regardless. Once the cyst gets too big nothing short of surgery will help him and surgery just isn't in the cards for him.
    Assuming he makes it through this episode we will keep a very close eye on his water intake from here on out. I'm sure that we will adjust his diet too.

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Hope things go well,when you've had them that long there part of the family. Gland you spoke of arm lenth gloves, i have 4 first calf heifers coming fresh in March and i might just need a pair. When you don't have any that's when you need them.:roll: Jack

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hope everything is OK. :smile:

6. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Keep us informed. Beekeepers also sympathize with horses--even old ones.

7. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

Not good news I'm afraid. We put Paula's horse Keson down this morning.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Ah geez Keith, I'm so sorry to hear that. Many of our pets are like family.

9. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

At least it saved him a lot of suffering. Have you thought about any plans to replace him?

10. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

Keson won't be replaced immediately. I would say within 2 years she will get another one. I don't think Paula will be in a rush. She loved her horse very much. They were such a good fit, rider and mount. She knew going into this horse 3 years ago that he would probably have this kind of end. We just hoped for another few years. It wasn't to be.
    In the end Paula did right by her charge. His suffering is done. If there is a horsie heaven Keson is galloping around and munching on endless grassy fields of clover and timothy right about now.

keson.jpg

paula and keson.jpg

11. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I'm so sorry. I opened this thread because I'm going through the same thing, different reason, with my rottweiler mix.

It is so hard to lose one. I cannot imagine losing a horse, I have enough trouble with my dogs or a beehive.

12. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I'm no good at reading the smiles on faces of horses, but Paula is certainly happy on the saddle of her horse. May she enjoy many happy memories on his back.

13. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Sorry to hear that. We had a grey arab "Odie" that had much the same problem. He was just short of 30 when I put him down. Sadly, that is a thing with greys.

You get so attached to them it feels disrespectful somehow to even think of getting another horse for a long while after. I finally pushed my wife to buy "Hazel" but not sure it was a good move. It just takes time.

14. Minz

Minz Member

An article in the paper here this weekend about all the horses being ‘rescued’ due to people just not being able to feed them. I don’t know the status of your town but from people just abandoning them on the side of the road to people calling up animal services there seems to be a surplus.
    I replaced a pup this last year at the urging of my daughter. I was not ready yet and her training definitely suffered. Take your time, work through it.

15. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

One of my neighbors found a small horse 3 weeks ago. Note at the feed store indicates she still has it. our drought has driven hay prices up. Although not as bad as last year. We did get some rain and some locally grown hay this year.

16. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

That's too bad PK. I was hoping for a better outcome alhough deep down inside I knew how many of these things end.
    You did right by him.
    Are there burial regulations in RI or are you allowed to place him on the property?

17. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

Thank you all for the kind words. It's not been a fun two days and your words have helped lift my spirits.

Keyson was a freebie or rescue horse. There are a lot of them up here too. Even a few that just got turned loose in the forest.

We are blessed that we have a small farm that has been haying since the early 1800s. We pay a fraction (still expensive though) of what others have to pay to feed their animals. Our costs are further cut by boarding two horses.

Paula is the horse person. I just help. If we don't replace Keyson I'm fine with that. If we do it will be on Paula's schedule.

18. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

how do I say this?

To the best of my knowledge all RI regulations were followed.

or I could go with, "Horse? what horse?"

Nah, I'll stand by my first statement

19. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Sorry to hear of the loss PK :sad:

20. Marbees

Marbees Member

Sorry for your loss PK. Keyson knew he was loved.