Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are new to beekeeping. We obtained two colonies last Monday 5/21 via cut outs. Both colonies were good sized. Both have 4-5 frames of capped brood and 5 frames of honey cut out of their original hive. Bees were collected by vacuum. Both have been vigorous and active this week. Both hives have an additional box of frames and foundation. Hive inspection on Friday did not reveal queens or eggs but being new I wanted to look again before declaring them queenless.
Wednesday 5/23 we had a previously ordered package arrive. We installed them into a new hive with 10 frames of new foundation about 30 feet away from the two mentioned above. Entrance reducer and hive top feeder in place.
Came home from holiday today 5/28 to find the package had absconded with the queen.
Found lots of bees crowding the wide open entrance of one cutout hive and based on coloring it appears they are the package bees.
Why would they spontaneously combine with another colony?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had it happen to me last month, I had a swarm and put it in a new 10 frame deep, they were doing good, the following weekend i picked up a package and put them in another new 10 frame deep several feet away from the other, after 24hrs I didn't see much activity around the entrance, but I wanted to leave them at least a week before checking for queen release and when I opened it up, the queen was still in her cage with maybe 50 bees, in my case they left the queen behind, although they had no bond with her at that point. when I checked the new swarm hive I captured, i really feel like the package combined with them by the numbers present. nature does what it wants!

·
Super Moderator
3,517 Posts
well give a caged queen a couple of frames of brood and a nuc box and let her loose, I'll bet it will be a successful hive before winter, but yes feed feed feed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts