Comb Honey Supers

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Jun 15, 2011.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

So far we are having a good honey flow,the girls are filling every super i put on them :thumbsup: . I'm running out of supers and started making up comb honey supers to slow them down. When they draw them out and fill them i put them on top if they are not already there so they won't track it. The problem is they are not capping the whole frame, just half way down? The honey supers for extracting are the same way? Maybe i'm in a bigger hurry than they are, but i'd like to extract some of it so i can put the supers back on. Any suggestions on getting them to cap the whole frame, this is some of the whitest comb honey i've had in a long time. Jack

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

ah grasshopper you must have patience :D

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

there is foundation in the comb honey boxes? that should slow them down just like you planned. so what was the problem? :confused:

4. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Comb honey producers crowd the hive to get it capped quickly. You have done the opposite. ABC XYZ has a good set of information on comb honey production.

5. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Tec, when i make frames for comb honey i buy the thin foundation for comb honey. I cut it in 2 in. strips and put it in the wedge and melt beeswax and pour it in the wedge to keep it straight and from falling out.I guess i slowed them down to much. :mrgreen:

Gary, i know what your saying, but these hives have 2 med. supers full of uncapped honey on them besides the comb honey super.I've made the mistake of putting the comb honey super over the queen excluder next to the brood chamber,they made thebeautiful snow white honey comb look like it was going to bleed through the cappings, Like rat said, i'm in to big a hurry :roll: Jack