Comb honey

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Aquila, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Aquila

Aquila New Member

Hello everybody.

I’d like to try to make comb honey. I have seen some different systems on market.

Who can share an experience which is better to use and how?

Thanks

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

systems?? I have no idea.

for myself I do raise a bit of comb honey in shallows (unwired and with thin surplus foundation) and a small number of mini nuc frames. some of this I place in wide mouth jars (fill with extracted honey) and some I package in sealable plastic containers. both are extemely popular amongst the mexican/hispanic population.

my one observation would be since the comb honey (in whatever form) must be absolutely perfect you do need to cull quite a few to sell an acceptable product.

3. Aquila

Aquila New Member

I mean systems like Ross Rounds, B-O-B Plastic Comb or similar.
    It is easy to find in Internet. I am not sure that I can place links hear according the rules.
    A point is that as I see such tools are selling in ready to use super that I should place to hive. Normally I am alternate new frame with old in honey box. In case with such systems I should place to the hive assembled super with all new foundation or plastic base. I am afraid that bees will ignore them. Easer such supers are really effective or this is only marketing issue?

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Such supers are not liked by the bees and your yield will be much less. As tecumseh says, just plain wax foundation in shallow or home made small frames work much easier and you get more honey.

5. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Like has been said, including- have to be a very strong colony, and if they reject the super long enough, they may become crowded and start the swarming process. Not something you want this time a year, aklso need very strong nectar flow something you probably won't have this time a year.
    Just my thinking however convoluted they are.
    Barry

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I will have to go along with the crowd on this one. Flow must be heavy and hive strong. Have seen them walk right past it to get to a super on top. Not sure why they don't like it but it will almost be the last thing they will work from my experience (this is ross rounds that I am speaking of never tried anything else).

G3