combine gone wrong, then fixxed up.

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by G3farms, Jul 8, 2013.

1. G3farms

G3farms New Member

hive #1........swarm that was caught and building nicely, great brood pattern, queen laying faster than bees could bring in stores. 9 frames drawn out, looking good and progressing well.

6/4/13 Sold a five frame nuc out of this hive leaving me with 4 frames, one of which did have eggs on it to start a queen cell with.
    6/7/13 Three days later we had five queen cells developing quite nicely.

hive #2........swarm that was caught and building nicely, great brood pattern, queen laying faster than bees could bring in stores. 8 frames drawn out, looking good and progressing well.
    6/9/13 sold five frame nuc out of this hive leaving me with 3 frames.
    6/10/13 installed these three frames of bees into hive #1

hive #1 (now the combined hive of #1 and #2)
    6/12/13 checked hive and all queen cells torn down, queenless!

Question.....what would cause them to tear the queen cells down?
    My theory...pheromones from the frames of hive #2 still too strong and they thought they were queen right???
    Your theory.................................

6/25/13 Did a two hive cut out on house.
    hive #3 Bees in the "bird box" (corner of the eave) had been sprayed and suffered many causalities but poison never made it to the combs, too high and entrance behind gutter. Very small thriving hive despite the stink of dead bees which was getting into the house :lol::thumbsup:. Five deep frames half full of brood, good looking queen and laying pattern.

7/2/13 did newspaper combine of hive #3 onto hive #1 to make them queen right. This poor queen was wanting to lay eggs so bad and searching for any empty cells.

7/6/13 pulled newspaper out and combined all frames together.

What will I find next??????

For those of you wondering about the long times between the dates, well working 6 days a week and non stop rain will limit your timing.

2. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

But there is a big yellow ball in the sky today! :D

(It's hot, too!)

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Very small thriving hive despite the stink of dead bees which was getting into the house [​IMG][​IMG].

:rolling::rolling::rolling:

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I thought is was a pleasant payback myself. Just twisted country boy thinking!!

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Good story about the combine and the stinky bee revenge.

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Dave, more than just a story, I am asking a couple of questions also.

7. litefoot

litefoot New Member

Like Dave, I enjoyed the story...but I also think your theory sounds good. I'll admit that I've never heard of newspaper combining two queenless colonies, but then I'm new enough that I've never heard of 90% of what I read here .:lol:

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Well that might be where I messed up, #1 and #2 were not combined using newspaper, I just put them together.

9. dr.buzz

dr.buzz New Member

I think you left them queenless for a whole day, long enough for them to know they were queenless and accept the queen cells, so I wouldn't think they thought they were still queen right.........
    Is there any chance that hive #2 actually had 2 queens in it? You made a 5 frame nuc with one of them, combined the rest with hive #1 that had queen cells, but they accepted the existing queen and tore down the queen cells?

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Not out of the question for sure, but i did not see a queen or any evidence of a queen (eggs). That is why hive #3 that was queen right was combined into them.

11. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Very interesting George, will follow this one closely to see how it plays out. If there had been a queen in the first two combines then you would have found a dead queen when you combined the third one, right? Tom

12. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I did not see a dead queen or hear any piping.

13. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Sounds like you got lucky then....good job...will keep watching this post for updates. Tom

14. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Even when putting cells in mating nucs some times the bees will tare the added queen cell down. This is the reason a lot of queen raisers put the cells in Cell Protectors. The bees rarely destroy a cell from the end.
    bw6_thumbnail_1.png bw7_thumbnail_1.png
    The newspaper combine should go well as the queen is laying and the bees from combined hives 1&2 should readily except a laying queen. I leave the news paper in or at least don't worry about removing it as the bees will dispose of it.

15. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

You could use #8 hardware clothe and fashion a cell protector and push it into the comb to protect the cells if you were to do it again. I would have left 1 and 2 each to raise their own queen and once I had one laying then combine the hives and the work force. Just insurance against something happening to queen one and she is lost.

16. G3farms

G3farms New Member

7-10-13 Went through the hive, the queen was in the bottom box and lay up a storm. The half empty drawn comb was exactly what she was looking for. All is well in hive #1 so far, just need to keep a watch on them attaching the old cut out comb to the frames and keeping it straight.

Next up is two queenless colonies to be requeened.