Combined hives

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by letitbee, Jun 13, 2011.

1. letitbee

letitbee New Member

Well after sleeping on it, I have decided to not requeen my hive of laying workers this late in the season, given that the chances of the bees accepting the new queen, the hives dwindling numbers and their limited stores, I combined the remaining bees into my strong hive. I did it this morning before daylight when they were all at home...I put newspaper over the strong hives brood box and set the weaker box on top. Could someone make me feel good about this? I basically wanted the education of keeping bees this year so I could expand next year and will be buying a lot of my friends equipment that is all drawn out and ready. I have a great queen in my strong hive and I feel the added resources will better their chances of survival. Did I make a good choice? :roll:

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

as I wrote (another threat) after you post here I do think recombining would be the right decision.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I think you made a good choice.

Did you by chance leave an entrance for the combined bees so they can fly until they chew through the newspaper?

If not just prop the lid open enough for them to fly (a small stick will work), after they combine and you remove the newspaper in a couple of days then you can close the lid back up.

4. letitbee

letitbee New Member

I propped the lid for them. Thanks for making me feel better guys. Its been a rough year for bees around here and my packages were 2 weeks late in arrival because of the weather. I know that there are a few good months left in the summer but my weak hive was dwindling so I pulled the pin. I am already planning for next year and my friend wants to take me under his wing and take over some of his hives. He has been very successful at surviving colonies around here when survival is the exeption, not the rule. He wanted me to think about the situation and make my own decision but I think he wanted me to just combine the hives and not waste money and time trying to save a dying hive. My hat is off to him for guiding me and not steering me! Hopefully with the awesome queen I have left, they will be okay.

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I may well do the same thing with ole #13. If the few present queen cells don't pan out in the next couple of weeks, time to pull the pin.
    Has anyone ever combined a strong laying worker hive with another using the newspaper method and had it turn out badly?

6. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I have never personally tried it. In most cases I have always been told to take the hive out a few yards from the hives and shake them out on the ground. Let them find another home with the other hives. Then take the hive bodies of the laying work and bring them home. So they wont go back to it.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

PerryBee writes:
    Has anyone ever combined a strong laying worker hive with another using the newspaper method and had it turn out badly?

tecumseh:
    well yea. let just say hypothetically speaking that the sweat is dripping down your face and you do the combination thingee and in the heat and general mental confusion you forget to slice the paper between the two boxes and then you toss the lid on the top forgetting to check and make certain the top box does have a proper entrance. when discovered two or three days later it don't look so pretty. all hypothetical of course. :shock:

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I'm glad you said hypothetical. I know it isn't as hot here as in Texas, but I have never slit the paper, nor left a top entrance. Except when I was demonstrating the procedure. Then I do for the benefit of the newbee. I have never had a kill or melt down by doing it that way.

9. letitbee

letitbee New Member

All seems well this morning with the combined hive. I left the bottom board out from the hive I combined and watched the bees climbing thru the entrance into no hive. Then a few of them actually went next door to where their new hive is now and went inside. Not to many bees flying out from under the cover yesterday...they seem a bit confused. We are having a chilly spell so I am not worried about overheating. But so far no fighting but lots of activity around the hive.

10. letitbee

letitbee New Member

Forgot...lots of chewed paper outside the hive but everyhting seems calm. My hope is that with the queenless colony, they will have no queen pheremones on them so the new hive will accept them easier.