Combing a weak hive!

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by gustavo_m_2000, May 17, 2015.

1. gustavo_m_2000

gustavo_m_2000 New Member

After putting the newspaper and sitting the brood box on top of the newspaper, and do some perforations to the paper, do I need to create a scape route to the hive above the newspaper? or they would chewed their way out through. I am concern about the heat on that hive sitting on top? I read a book and it says keep minimum of 7 days, would my bees die? if they don't chewed the newspaper! how I can tell when they done?

newbie beekeeper

2. camero7

camero7 Member

make sure you have a top entrance for the top box, you can put a small stick to prop the top board open if you need to.

3. Ray

Ray Member

I did a newspaper combine this spring. You don't need to perforate the paper (1 single sheet!). Like camero7 said prop open the lid on the top box, just enough for bees to get in and out. 36 hours later you should see bits of newspaper in front of the hive. The bees will remove most of the paper, you can open the hive and assist them or not.

4. camero7

camero7 Member

IN about a month from a combine I lift the box and scrape the newspaper off the box. Nothing that will hurt the bees but I see it wick moisture into the hive at times.

5. gustavo_m_2000

thanks, The instructions that I was reading were not clear enough about leaving the entrance for the above hive!

thanks guys, I am in the learning curve and more to go!

6. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I don't leave an above hive entrance, and I didn't perforate the paper on the one I did last week, sprayed it with sugar water with vanilla to make it tasty. When I do perforations I have too much trouble with fighting, above hive entrances leave really small combines vulnerable to robbing from stronger neighbors. If I am combining they are not a strong hive. Our weather here has been cool for the last week or so

7. gustavo_m_2000

thanks for your info, in Miami it's hot, I think they would suffocated! if I don't leave an opening to the top hive, this week I finished cleaning what was left of the paper, and yes I noticed they were taking the paper over the entrance.

that's problem resolve now I have to tackle the hive beetle problem! it's a pest!

going to setup some traps for this beetles inside and outside of the hive of course following the precaution to not harm the girls.

I read about apple cide vinegar mix with a banana peel, to attract the hive beetles into the mineral oil, it's a 3 inches pipe with caps cut in half then setup the bait then mesh no big enough for the honey bees but good for the hive beetles. I read I could hang them around my property to drive them off the hive.
    I started with a Nuc it got split(swarm) and then reunited them again and then I caught two small swarms, I am nursing both swarms and see if they would take off, it's very hard for beginners when there no draw comb! for us to use, that's why I am feeding them with sugar!

my goal is to help this bees, due my backyard space I am limited, hopefully by next year I would have some honey if not I would still happy just knowing I am helping this beautiful insects happy memorial weekend to all the beekeepers !

8. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

9. Gypsi

I got these beetle trap cloths from beeweavers.com, cost about $8 for 100, and they are amazing. Bees chew on them and herd beetles into them and they die there tangled up. I seem to remember photo posting is complicated or I would post a picture, but no more spilled oil in my beehive, thank you very much.

And texas is hot but I used screened bottom boards mostly and it isn't too hot today. Hopefully they chewed thru that paper, may check my combine later

10. camero7

camero7 Member

When there is a good flow on I don't bother with the paper, just stack the weak hive on top of the strong one. Works pretty good.

11. Gypsi

Flow? Got drought or flood but flow not good. opened mine yesterday. paper not chewed, made holes with hive tool.