Combining hive question

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by RE Jones, Nov 12, 2011.

1. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

The first top bar hive that I started is not doing real well. A month ago they were doing so-so, I figured they would gain, but they have not. They still have a queen who laid some eggs and they have all hatched out. They have depleted their stores and all the older bees have died off.
    I plan on killing the queen and combining them with the lang hive that I started. There are only a couple hundred bees left.
    Should I dump them in front of the hive I want them in or just dump them in the hive??
    Robert

2. Crofter

Crofter New Member

I wonder if several hundred bees would be an asset to the Lang hive. What kind of a mite load do they have. Not thriving, and foraging bees going down in number could also be Nosema C. symptom. Just guessing because I am not familiar with your weather or blossoms but if bees haven't been doing well........?

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Crofter brings up an interesting point in regards to uniting bees. if you had some question in line with Crofter thinking then I would tend to think dump the bees outside and a active hive will not let anything sick inside. Some separation in distance might also be something to consider.

4. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

I think I would follow tecs advice. Dump them out front, if you dump them right in the lang-the bees inside would probably kill most of them cause they don't smell right.
    If they're sick, the healthy hive won't let the in.
    Are you planning on trying the TBH again?

5. rast

rast New Member

How close are the Lang and the TBH to each other now?

6. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

The two hives are within four feet of each other.
    This was a very small swarm that I started on this TBH. When they threw the drones out, the population was cut in half. It took this queen over 45 days to start laying and I was wondering about her then. She only laid eggs in one of the combs that they built and they have all hatched.
    There are only four combs in this hive and they are small, about the size of a large pear.
    I will dump them in front of the hive and see what happens. Looks like this afternoon will be a good time to try.
    I will be trying this TBH again as the four footer I have is booming. This is the first hive that I tried and it was a very small swarm that I put in there Labor Day of this year.
    Thanks, Robert

7. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

Well, that was something else!!
    Opened the hive at around noon, took one bar and shook it in front of the lang, they walked right in. Second bar had the queen on it and when I tried to catch her, she decided she did not want anything to do with this. Straight up in the air in loops and she went out of sight.
    All but a few, maybe 15 went in the lang with no problems.
    I will close the TBH up, remove all the comb they had built, and wait for another swarm to show up.
    Thanks for the help, Robert