Combining Hives

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Eddy Honey, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Who here has ever combined 2 hives into 1 and what issues resulted if any?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Remove the queen from one. Place a single layer of newspaper over the other one after removing the lid. Pick the queenless hive off it's bottom board and place it on the newspaper.

Six others will be telling you to make a couple of slits in the newspaper. Do it if you want, but it's not necessary.

That's it. The combine is done. In 24 hours, you can remove the remnants of paper from between the edges of the boxes. That's all that will be left. The bees will have carried the rest out.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Yep!! have done it a couple of times myself, works like a charm..............I like to cut the slits myself just to give Iddee something to fuss about.

If it is in the middle of the summer when you do this I would give some ventilation to the upper box.

4. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I thought that you shouldn't give honey from one hive to another? Isn't that what's going to happen here?

I'm not combining....the wheels were turning is all...:think:

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

As long as you know where the honey came from and was not contaminated with American Foul Brood it will be OK. The spread of AFB is what you are worried about.

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You should not give honey to a hive from an unknown source. There's a difference.

7. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Well if I think about it I did combine. I took a frame with queen cells and nurse bees from a queenless hive and combined it with 2 frames of brood, honey, and pollen from another booming hive. Then I got to thinking about when Iddee told me never to give honey from one hive to another. He was referring to the cutout I had done. Ok...got it.

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

What you did was make a spit from a couple of healthy hives.

Hope they do good for you!