Combining newly recovered hive with ordered nuc box.

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by stugger57, Feb 12, 2014.

1. stugger57

stugger57 New Member

I just recovered an open hive from an irrigation box. The bees have been in their new home for about a week and are doing well. They have a queen. I am also picking up an overwintered nuc box on the 22nd. My bee yard for the nuc box has become unavailable. This gives me the problem of where to put the nuc box. Can I unqueen the present hive a few days before I pick up the nuc box and use the newspaper method to introduce the two. The nuc box queen is Varroa resistant, new, and aquainted with the stronger bees of the nuc. Thanks in advance!

2. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

It might be a good idea to allow the recovered hive to raise some brood. I would give this brood a good check for disease. You wouldn't want to merge your costly nuc with a hive that showed signs of disease. If in doubt, you can dispose of your freebee recovered hive and spend effort building up your nuc.

3. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

you can also put the nuc a foot away from the other hive and have both, any place can support up to 6 hives.

4. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

having 2 colonies is advantageous as it will give you an comparison if something happens to either queen you will have the bees and brood to support the other colony. The irrigation colony are survivor bees and may prove to be as resistance or more so than the nuc you have bought. I would keep them both.