Combining two hives ???

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by G3farms, Sep 3, 2009.

1. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I have two hives that are very light and dought they will make it through the winter. One was a very small swarm that was given to me and the other was a cut out. Neither one built up as expected, this was back in May so they had time.
    Have not been in either one (weather is not permitting, when it is sunny and hot I am in the hay field) to do a full inspection. Both are in a ten frame deep body at the moment. I did however pop the top on one of them tonight and the SHB were running everywhere, bees were pissy and I put the lid back on them. I am going to combine both of these hives and then start feeding.

Now my question..............which queen would you kill? or do I need to make an inspection before you can give an answer. I (at least for my sake) need to see how the queens are laying and what kind of stores they have (which isn't much that's for sure).

Any suggestions??

G3

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

>>>>or do I need to make an inspection before you can give an answer.<<<<

YES

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

AAAHHHH come on Bjorn give us your answer, don't be shy now.

G3

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I am with iddee... for all the reasons you plainly stated + at least one others (is either hive critically invested with shb?).

sounds like the bees might well be on the edge of starvation if they are pissy and you are seeing a lot of shbeetles. even after combining you will need to attend to those problems.